Off Roading Forums banner

Engines: Auto Zone v. GM Crate

10K views 6 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Why should I spend so much more for a 350 GM crate engine when I can get a 350 from Auto Zone for much less? Are Auto Zone engines junk?

G
#2 ·
It would definitely be worth the extra bucks to get the crate motor. You can get a GM performance parts 350 HO with 330 HP and 385 FTlbs of torque right out of the box. And its not all that much more $$$ than a crapo-zone motor considering the quality of the product. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G
#3 ·
I've known people that have liked their engines and some that didn't. Usually the ones that didn't really didn't have clue as to what they were doing. I saw a guy tear one down at the Autozone to check bearing clearances!The warranty is only good for one year or 12k miles and is void if you install any high performance internals. There are plenty of companies (Summit and Jegs) that sell decent rebuild kits that ain't too expensive. You can be selective on your machine work to cut costs if you have a small budget, and put together a decent engine yourself.

G
#4 ·
One thing you get for certain with the GM crate motor is all-new stuff, as opposed to a "re-manufactured" motor from Autozone. Don't know if this applies to Autozone or not, but generally speaking you never know how MANY times that motor has been "re-manufactured" before you get it. I've heard of people who attempted to rebuild one of these "re-manufactured" motors after a year or two only to find that they'd been bored .120 over - which essentially means they'd been bored 4 times (not counting the stock bore). That's not to say that you can't deal with that, but wouldn't you like the opportunity to do the boring instead of winding at max bore & then using your block for a boat anchor when it wears out? Just something to keep in mind. Here's another option for you: I went with a friend to a racer's auction & he bought a fresh shortblock for $400. With the heads & pan off, he could inspect the motor a little better. He added his own heads, cam, & intake & then a shot of nitrous and did pretty damn well with it.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G
#5 ·
I've done it both ways, and would definately go the crate next time. That's what we did with Shaggy's engine - 1200 dollar crate, spent about $300 more on new springs, lifters, rockers and cam (CompCams 268H I think). That thing is just perfect in his '78, plenty of power to turn the 38.5's.

Marc
Contagious Off-Road

G
#6 ·
I have to agree with the rest of the guys. GM crate is the way to go. I once visited a rebuilder in Denver and WOW!!! IT sCaReD me to DEATH! I would have never believed that engines could be built that way! Crates are 100% new with a 3 year/36000 warranty! Can't beat it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.