16.5" 6 bolt Wheels?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-1999, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 16.5\" 6 bolt Wheels??

Were there ever 6 bolt 16.5" rims offered stock on GMs? What about 16" 6 bolt? Im looking into some wheels for my 85 with 79 diffs and was wondering where I could find some.
Thanks
Mike

Thumper 2
85 fullsize Jimmy
http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-1999, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 16.5\" 6 bolt Wheels??

16" 6 bolts are available. The 88- newer 4x4's came with stock 16' wheels. Only problem with these is the backspacing. They are considered a "front wheel drive" wheel for the IFS. there are aftermarket wheels available also. Never saw a 16.5 in 6 lug. anybody else?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-31-1999, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Our church van has a 14 bolt full floater with 16.5 and 6 hole bolt pattern!!Its a 15 passenger GMC van
White Knight CLRR

Old 12-31-1999, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be careful with the 16.5 inchers. It is a special truck size, with a shallow rim for the bead to seat against. So when you are aired-down, it is damn easy to pop a bead. Plus, there are not as many tire makes and sizes for the 16.5"

Old 01-01-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WK, I'm sure you know what you are talking about, but have to ask. Are you sure thats a 6 lug FULL floater? IS it a Dana or a 14 bolt? Trying to put a rear together for my 92, and want as heavy a rear as possible, yet retain the 6 lug pattern. I've ask about converting both the 14 FF, and the dana FF and have been told NO GO! I have seen the old FF militarys with a 6 lug, at least I guess thats what axle it was, but its not the same 6 lug pattern that Chevy uses on the newer 4X4'S. What year, etc. is that thing? Thanks!

Old 01-06-2000, 01:38 PM
TEX

<font color=purple> I've seen some aftermarket 16.5's with smaller patterns, but as mentioned above, why would you want them? If you have a standard 6-lug pattern, you could just use 15" rims or (as mentioned above) 16" rims from a late-model truck. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Old 01-06-2000, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, the reason I was asking is I have a brand new 16.5 35" BFG mud terrain that would be great for a spare, but its 16.5 and Im running 6 lug wheels. Guess I have to sell it.. oh well no biggie. BTW, will the later year 16" 6 lug rims fit OK on the 70s Dana44 and GM 12 bolt?
Thanks
Mike

Thumper 2
85 fullsize Jimmy
http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2000, 08:01 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> They'll bolt up just fine. The only problem may be that the deep backspacing might make them look funny. You might try to see if you can get a Bart wheel in that pattern or call Stockton (they advertise in the back of most mags). Problem is that you'd probably have to pay $100 or more for a simple steel rim. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Old 01-07-2000, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: FF 6 lug 60.

You can do a FF 60 with a 6 lug but it isn't easy. Do you want the 1.5" shafts with 35 splines or are you just looking at a Dana 60 Full Floater with the stock 1.31" 30 spline axles? The latter is definitely easier and cheap to do-I'll know more in a week or so about what's exactly involved. I just posted something on this page about what goes into doing a FF 60 with the 1.5" shafts. It's under "Help clear up some confusion: Dana 60 Full Floaters" I think. I'm pretty sure Warn can convert a 14 bolt too.
HTH,
Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement