Serpentine Belt Keeps coming off. I am puzzled. ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2002, 01:14 AM
nesluopetan

Default Serpentine Belt Keeps coming off. I am puzzled. ??

Ok, doesnt make sense. The past 3 days, I drive my truck for about a half hour, everying is good, gagues, temps, drivability, etc. I get to my destination, turn off the truck and then I come back a couple hours later. I then turn on the truck, and its squealing, i lift the hood, and the belt came off the power steering pulley, its just sitting off to the side. its done this 3 times in the past 3 days. So of corse, I thought it was the tensioner. I went and bought a new setup, put it on, everything seemed great, until it did it again, TWICE. so im thinking belt, well the belt is in MINT condition. pretty much brand new. and yes, its the right belt. What in the world is causing the belt to slip off after I turn off the truck after driving for awhile? The belt does not come off right away either, because I have my friend turn off the truck while im watching the belt, and it turns off fine, and the tensioner does its job. The belt is tight and everything, then I come back 2 hours later and its off. This doesnt make sense. The belt is very tight, and the tensioner is working, you can see it while its running. but for some reason it keeps coming off. Im wondering if the belt is stretching because of the constant 105 degree weather, but still, the belt is in mint shape. Please reply and let me know what you think it is, it doesnt make sense, and it just started a couple days ago. Thanx guys. please keep the replies coming, I need them, I dont want to get stranded.

nate
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2002, 07:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Serpentine Belt Keeps coming off. I am puzzled. ??

Belts don't stretch significantly, but even if it did, your tensioner would keep the tension on it.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] With the engine running, watch the belt closely at EVERY pulley - one of them is probbly wobbly.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I think there's an idler pulley on that engine, and it may be the culprit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2002, 07:08 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

yup, definitely check for a wobbly pulley. also check your brackets and make sure all are snug...no loose bolts.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:36 AM
nesluopetan

Well I did what you said, nothing is wobbly except the idiler pulley, but thats just because it is jiggling back and forth to make tension. all brackets are tight, and pulleys are stright. anything else it can be? and remember, the belt doesnt come off until after the truck is turned off. thanx for the replies, keep them coming please so i can find the culprit and fix it

nate
Old 07-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point

The idler pulley shouldn't move at all.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:32 AM
nesluopetan

im meaning the whole tensioner, not the pulley itself. Sorry, I didnt explain very well. eveyrthing looks very tight and snug. but why would the belt come off after the truck is off? thats the weird thign about it

nate
Old 07-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Journeyman

BigBri is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say the belt is squealing it makes me think maybe one of the accesories is binding or seazing up and knocking the belt off. Next time it falls off grab each of the pullies and make sure they are rotating freely. Power steering, alt, water pump, AC, Idler etc.
Good luck, Brian.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:35 AM
nesluopetan

i was just explaining what happens. the reason it was squealing is because the belt was sitting on the wrong side of the power steering pulley (belt was way loose) thats why it was squealing, all the pulleys turn nice and free.

nate
Old 07-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean you drive the truck = everything is OK
you stop and check the belt = everything is OK
you go to take off but before starting the truck you look and the belt is OFF???? the belt came off with out the truck running??????? I have NEVER heard of a belt coming off when the truck is not running[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
or are you saying after the truck sits for awhile you restart it and the belt comes off right?

Anyway my GUESS is your compressor clutch is screwed up and occasionally locks up. which throws the belt. My truck did this for awhile before I figured it out I would put on a new belt and a few weeks later bang it would come off but all the pullys lined up and spun well until finaly the compressor clutch discolored and I knew it was shot
I bought a belt for the same truck without ac and have not had a problem since but I don't have AC and I don't have the money to fix it yet (probably have the money by November [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img])
Old 07-15-2002, 12:40 PM
nesluopetan

You mean you drive the truck = everything is OK - YEP
you stop and check the belt = everything is OK - YEP
you go to take off but before starting the truck you look and the belt is OFF???? the belt came off with out the truck running??????? I have NEVER heard of a belt coming off when the truck is not running - I SWEAR IT DOES!! right when I turn the key, its whining, its like the belt is off before the truck even starts. like it slides off. I need to start checking the belts every time before I start it up, but i swear it sounds weird, but it seems like the belts off before the truck starts, like it oozes off over a 2 hour period or something. maybe your right, maybe its coming off when I start the truck. The AC system is BRAND new, its probably 3 months old, and ive never had a problem with it before. keep em coming guys. thansk a bunch. we will figure this out sooner or later.

nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement