Serpentine Belt Keeps coming off. I am puzzled. ?? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Serpentine Belt Keeps coming off. I am puzzled. ??

I bet one of the pulley's is heating up, while your driving.
You stop and turn off the engine and it locks up.
You start up the engine, it throws the belt and breaks the pulley free.
Look for discoloration on all the pulleys. and feel them when you stop, I bet one is hotter than the rest!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2002, 01:42 PM
nesluopetan

it comes off of the exact same pulley every time. The belt is supposed to go to the left of the power steering pulley, and every time it comes off that pulley and sits to the right of it, but the pulley turns freely, i played with it last time it did it.

nate

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

Jekyll is an unknown quantity at this point

Now this is just a wild guess here, I'm not very automotive literate [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But is it possible that the belt is too tight? Maybe as the belt cools it contracts and there is too much tension on it so it slids off a pully. I dunno, again this is just a guess.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contraction

Fiberglass-reinforced vulcanized rubber just doesn't expand or contract enough to notice over a 140" belt. Even aluminum would barely swell or shrink over that distance.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Pooh-Bah

KevinOfCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Its quite simple. You have nothing to do one day. You drive your truck for half an hour and then get a book, sit on the fender and watch. If it doesnt come off after 2-3 hours then you get someone to start your truck and see whats the problem.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:45 AM
BigBlueZ71

belt is dry right, isn' t like you have a leak in the bottom of the water pump through the weephole and thats causing the belt to slip off......
Old 07-16-2002, 08:13 AM
Pooh-Bah

pfunk1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had problems with the serpentine system before, it was wierd too. It turned out that my harmonic balencer had gone bad and it started to come loose from the crank. I had belts just fly off (at 7000 rpm) and shred in the flex fan. I didn't realize the problem untill it was too late and the balencer broke the keyway out of the crank. Turned out the balancer couldn't handle the rpms of the motor......guess I'm rambling, but here is a few things to check,,,,buy the way, the tensioner will jump up and down when somethings wrong or sticky
1) crank pully too balancer too crank
2) power steering pully to pump, should be flush (very easy to bend if ya pry on it)
3) make sure the compressor pully spins very freely and doesn't have any hard spots, I've bought em with bad bearings before
4) notice any antifreeze, water pumps will keep ya guessing till they just go.
5)alt too, how much of a load are ya putting on the alt
Old 07-16-2002, 12:34 PM
nesluopetan

alternator is a couple months old. The tensioner is sure going back and forth like crazy while the truck is running, it doesnt like to stay at a steady rate at all. does that help anything?

nate
Old 07-16-2002, 12:40 PM
Pooh-Bah

pfunk1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

one of the pulleys is off center, coming out (miss alighned), or sticking. Check all that I showed in that post, and make sure everything is spinning freely
Old 07-16-2002, 12:42 PM
nesluopetan

K, I will take belt off tonight, check everything and let you guys know what I find out. Hopefully its something simple. Hopefully the harmonic balancer and stuff like that isnt going out on me.

nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement