Fullsize Solid Axle Buggy Leaf? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-1999, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Buggy Leaf?-did you guys read his post??

Since Sean said he didn't mind the idea of this going public, this is what he'd sent to LakeTex....

I've got 3/4 elliptic on the rear of my truck. Here are the problems. 1) When going down a steep descent with the rear buggy leaves unpinned, the rear end will raise and will cause the truck to roll onto its nose. I've seen this once in Moab with an early Bronco with the buggy leaves in back. 2) On the road, if you do not have the buggy leaves pinned against the frame, the rear end will raise every time you take off from a stop and with the amount of twist the buggy allows, the cornering of the truck will really be affected. The raising of the rear end will fatigue your ujoints in the driveline quickly if you're not careful. 3)Buggy leaves will put an un-godly amount of twist on your rear springs-to the point of prematurely fatiguing them. Picture this. I am running 24" long buggy leaves on my rear suspension. When I drive up a 23 degree ramp with the buggies unpinned, the front portion of my rear spring to the center pin is negative. The rear portion of the spring from the center pin to the shackle, is positive. Now comes the weird part. If you look at the rear spring while standing directly behind the spring, the buggy leaf is bent down and off to the side. The shackle is at a 45 degree angle and the regular spring pack itself is twisted into an "S" shape. 4) Weird axle wrap will happen even more off road. B/c the buggy leaf bends and drops down, it will allow the axle to travel forward in a totally unnatural arch that can (and often does) lead to breakage of the buggy leaf. Always carry a spare. If you really get into a bind and have to back up while the rear tires are having to climb a steep rock, you'll really see how far the axle will be pushed forward. 5)You'll need longer rear brake lines to accomodate the extra travel and your rear slip yoke may need attention. 6) Another major concern is the amount of body roll associated with the 3/4 elliptic. The body will sometimes roll into the rocks you are trying to avoid. It does allow some really cool pictures b/c all the tires are on the ground. However, since very little weight is on the tires, it isn't that helpful. 7) I can't stress this enough. If you are going to go with buggy leaves or drop arms, make sure you plan provisions to pin them against the frame.

The only real advantage to buggy leaves is that you'll get another 6-10" of droop and you can get some really twisted up pics of your truck. However, in reality the extra droop isn't all that helpful b/c of the weight issue.

Personally, I think a much better set up (and one I'll be converting to shortly) is longer rear springs. Simply cut off the frame mounted front or rear perch and put in a longer spring that will offer much more flex. That's just my two cents. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Sean

<font color=red> <font size=4> B</font> <font size=5>L</font> <font size=6>A</font><font size= 5>D</font> <font size=4>E</font> </font color=red>
Ooooooo! My truck's picture is clickable now. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-1999, 11:13 AM
Addict

laketex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buggy Leaf?-did you guys read his post??

Thanks for all the help on this one guys. I'm still cussing and discussing, but thanks both ways.

LakeTex
Durant, OK
'79 Blazer in progress
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement