4L60E front leaking!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 4L60E front leaking!!

The 4l60e in my 94 is leaking from the flywheel cover. I pulled it off yesterday, and didn't see any fluid tracks, so I assumed it was from the pan. Pulled the pan, resealed it, and leak is still there. Is there a seal from the torque converter to the tranny? I really need a schematic, but haven't found one. Any help, ideas would be awesome! thanks!

Ryno
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Old Hand

fishnhunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4L60E front leaking!!

are you sure that it's not oil? Cause if your leaking from your oil filter it will look like that. If you reciently changed your oil maby you accidently left the old gasket on there. Or if you have an oil cooler it could be leaking from where it connects up to the block. This gasket fails pretty often.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-2002, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok- I don't wanna be mean, but tranny fluid is red, oil is brown. Everything else on the truck is fine, and not leaking. There IS A LEAK FROM THE FRONT OF THE TRANSMISSION. Anyone with a schematic, or a part # for a seal please email me! =)

Ryno
Old 04-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Old Hand

fishnhunt is an unknown quantity at this point

yea just trying to make sure. The first thing that poped into my mind was that because i just fixed that problem.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Veteran

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been my experience that it is likely to be the pump seal (input shaft seal). But that usually leaves a trail of fluid down the front of the tranny. My suggestion is to inspect while hot and every hour after you shut it down for a little while to see where it's coming from.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:15 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

TxFireman is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Rebel. It sounds like the front seal.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rebel-

thanks for the info. I have done the R&R on my 2 trannies...am I better off taking it to a shop, and having them do it, or better pulling the tranny, and doing it myself?

Ryno
Old 04-16-2002, 08:29 AM
Addict

derblank is an unknown quantity at this point

If the torque convertor seal is leaking in the front pump, you need to make sure you replace the bushing behind it too. It will keep leaking if you just replace the seal and not the bushing. Wouldnt hurt to pull the font pump while your at it and check the pump gears and the o-ring seal around the outside of the pump.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 PM

Deenas4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Sound advice, wish i had seen 1 day sooner

[QUOTE=derblank;714837]If the torque convertor seal is leaking in the front pump, you need to make sure you replace the bushing behind it too. It will keep leaking if you just replace the seal and not the bushing. Wouldnt hurt to pull the font pump while your at it and check the pump gears and the o-ring seal around the outside of the pump.

not sure if this is the proper way to reply but, your advice will save peep money. my mechanic didnt know this tidbit. turns out that bushing had "spun" in its housing " pump casting" just got a used/guaranteed pump in today off e-bay. going to tranny dude to have him look it over before r&r again. any more i should know to make sure this is last time out and in for a while ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement