Why is my 1991 Z71 running like crud? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2002, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Why is my 1991 Z71 running like crud?

Hi all,
I have a stock 350 TBI in my 1991 Z71 and its running like crud after the engine warms up. I just replaced the cap,rotor,spark plugs,air filter and fuel filter and cleaned the TBI with throttle body cleaner but still it runs crummy when warmed up. Mainly it bogs down and hesitates a little when I give it some gas after warm up.

Do I need to clean or replace the fuel injectors? Maybe the O2 sensor is going bad? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any advice!

***3/7/02 update - I changed the O2 sensor this morning and the truck runs great, thanks for all the feedback folks!***
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

A1980GMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why is my 1991 Z71 running like crud?

I had the same problem once with my 92 Full-Size Blazer. I did all of what you said, and finally fixed it with a new distributor.

It used to feel like I would give the gas hard, like when trying to pass someone and it responded like, duh what? It would really respond at all very very sluggish.

I hope you get it fixed.

Ryan

1999 Suburban 6.5" Cepek Lift and 3" Body lift, 37x12.5x15 SSR's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-2002, 02:54 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point

timing, also check firing order.

90K5

Old 03-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

does it studder

check the gasket under the throttle body, while its idleing take that cleaner you used to clean out the tbi and spray it around the base of the tbi unit, if it hesitates stumbles trys to die, dies, or anything when you do this the gasket is sucking air and is causeing the problem

if its not anything mentiond here or the above replys then maybe checking to see that the Z71 sticker is still straight, would help [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] just jokeing

but yeah the TBI gaskets on these trucks go out all the time

Evan

trucks suck
Old 03-06-2002, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a similar problem on my 94. It would bog down off the line and then slowly pick up as I gained momentum. My problem was a clogged catalytic converter.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2002, 01:44 PM
NEO

Hey Kid, if I have a scratch in my Z71 sticker, will that decrease my HP??? LOL

Old 03-06-2002, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem in my 89 Blazer. The timing was retarded slightly. The GM dealer was the only one who could time it right. It ran like a champ after that was fixed. Mine also ran better cold, and would bog down worse on incline's. Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2002, 02:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

actually I think if you run that through brush enough it might come off and gain you HPs

trucks suck
Old 03-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Veteran

90K5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did this start after you replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, etc? If it did, I can almost guarantee you you either have a few wires out of order, or maybe the cap isn't on tight or something like that. Check all the stuff you fixed and make sure you did it right.

90K5

Old 03-06-2002, 03:06 PM
BigBlueZ71

Ditto, check your plug wires. two of my wires were shot and my truck was running like crap. Installed new MSD 8.5mm's and it still runs like a champ.

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement