Cab over camper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Addict

derblank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cab over camper

I tried the Ford board with this question, and didnt get much of a response. Could use some help. I'm looking into selling my travel trailer and getting a cabover camper. I spend time at cutting/penning events and need to pull a horse trailer.

Questions: Does anyone have a cabover on their 3/4 ton?? How does it haul?? Any problems with driveability i.e: braking, cornering..??

Will take any advice or info on this subject. Want to make sure I'm making the right decision, and dont get into something that doesnt work for me.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 12:28 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

TxFireman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cab over camper

My friends dad had one on a 65 chevy. I never drove it myself though, but have riden in it. It seemed to ride well, I didn't notice an overabundance of body roll or anything. Actually, we had a blowout in it once, and although there was a little sway for a moment, it handled it quite well. We were doing about 65 at the time. I'm sure you will be able to feel it back there....but I don't think it will be that bad. Wish I could help you out more...never had one myself.

<font color=red>If you keep breakin' parts, try replacing your heavy right foot!</font color=red>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-04-2002, 12:33 AM
Addict

Any help is appreciated.. I am suprised not as many people own a cabover camper... I see alot of them out here in CA. Just seem to having a problem finding people with experience with them...

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

Old 03-04-2002, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

3/4 ton will haul the load fine.Truck will handel pretty much as if the bed were loaded(it is).Braking will be alittle diminished due to the weight and you'll have to slow down a bit in Corners but beyond that the only thing I'll warn you about is the truck will be a nightmare in a cross wind.Get one of the ones that breaks down so it's only a few inches taller than the cab when your driving.

www.Kansasfourwheeling.8m.com
Old 03-04-2002, 12:45 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

TxFireman is an unknown quantity at this point

They are dang sweet to have. I have spent many a night on the nueces river near uvalde in that ol camper. Very comfy...beats the heck out of sleepin' on the ground. That's why I bought me a sport tent for the bed of my truck years ago. The river near Uvalde is too rocky for a regular tent.

<font color=red>If you keep breakin' parts, try replacing your heavy right foot!</font color=red>
Old 03-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

porschefixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make sure that the truck that you are using is rated for that type of use.chevy,ford and dodge have a package call "camper special" and they have very HD springs in the back.My C2500 camper special ahs a load rating in the bed of almost 3000 LBS.Also watch your total Gross Vehicle Combined Weight Rating (AKA..... GVCWR)and DO NOT go over it.Hope your pulling a lite horse trailer

Old 03-04-2002, 05:24 PM
Veteran

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know much about campers and the like, so I warn you - I may be talking out my @ss here. I've seen allot of rodeo guys around here with a 2 and sometimes 4 horse goose neck trailer and in the front portion of it is a camper. To me that would be ideal because for day to day stuff you can just unhook it and go, won't have to deal with a camper and you would still have the use of the bed. That would require some serious investment in your hobby though (expensive trailer and a 5th wheel). As far as just throwing on a camper though, I've seen several 3/4 tons pulling a camper and a race car around here and they keep up with my unloaded 1/2 ton down the highway. Ofcourse as mentioned in the above posts you should never excede your GCVWR, and if you've got regular 3/4 ton springs and not HD3/4 ton springs and a FF axle maybe you should upgrade.

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Old Hand

tx_jeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen those fifth-wheel horse trailer/RV's as well. My wife's aunt has one that she pulls with her dually dodge cummins. It is nice inside and still has room for (I think) 4 horses in the back. It's not very long either because the horses go in at an angle.

I drive a Chebby, the wife drives a F@rd, nuff said.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:36 PM
Addict

Thanks for all the info. I'm suspicious of getting a trailer that hauls horses and I can sleep in... (worried about the smell). I'm going over to the local RV Stealership this weekend to take a peek at the new campers. I'll keep you informed if anything exciting comes up.

TB

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.