Poll: Fel-Pro or Victor gaskets? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2001, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poll: Fel-Pro or Victor gaskets?

I've been a long time user of Fel-Pro gaskets, but lately I've noticed some Victor gaskets are better than Fel-Pro. For head gaskets I've been pleased with both the Fel-Pro perma-torque and Victor Nitroseal. Victor has some real nice valve cover gaskets, called Victo-Tech that are a molded rubber, need no sealants, and have compression limiters to prevent the valve cover bolts from being tightened to much. For the small block chevy, Victor makes a real nice one piece molded rubber oil pan gasket for the older two piece rear main seal blocks.

Just for some information, which do you prefer, Fel-Pro or Victor?
dave

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2002, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Poll: Fel-Pro or Victor gaskets?

I have used some Victor products in the past, but unfortunately, they went onto my `85 Park Avenue (only 'car' I've ever owned) which I still have nightmares about.

I personally prefer Fel-Pro gaskets. Fel-Pro also make a one-piece oil pan gasket for the SBC that works very well.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2002, 04:05 PM
RolngThun

I have always been partial to Fel-Pro. I mainly just get concerned with the head gasket. 13.5 and large doses of nitrous makes for some good cylinder pressures. I know Fel-Pro has the intake gaskets with the correct port sizes I need. I may have to try those Victor head gaskets on my new engine. Do they come for 4.5 bore and a copper fire ring for aluminum heads. Fel-Pro don't have the copper ring for that bore. I know I sure would hate to indent my heads with steel fire rings.

Old 01-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not have access to a Victor Performance gasket catalog, but here is what I can report from the General Purpose (GP) Victor gasket catalog. The best performance head gasket offered by Victor is the Solicor. The only information in the GP catalog is; the Solicor gasket uses a wire that is "Yieldable" Wire Ring. Solicor SCR & SC cylinder head gaskets provide additional crush resistance and withstands higher sealing pressure. The Victor General Purpose catalog show a cut-away of the Solicor gasket construction. Stainless Steel Flange, Teflon Coating, Non-Asbestos Facing, and Steel Core. I do not know if Victor Performance has a 4.50" gasket. The Solicor gasket is the only gasket I've seen hold up to a blower 454 Marine engine, but it has cast heads. The Fel-Pro performance head gasket did not withstand the blower pressures for more than one season, and the season was cut short because of the head gasket failure.

The Victor Nitro-Seal is the common head gasket offered by Victor, it's construction is similar to the Fel-Pro Perm-torque, but uses a Stainless Steel Flange, Graphite Facing, and a Perforated Steel Core. The Victor Nitro-Seal seems to work fine with a cylinder head R&R type engine repair, when neither the head or block are surfaced. The Fel-Pro Perma-Torque seems to work just as good as the Victor for this type of engine repair. I've even had good results with Detroit gaskets when both the head and block are surfaced, but I'll never try another Detroit gasket for a cylinder head R&R engine repair. I've also had good results with the Victor Nitro-Seal with aluminum head engines also, but I always have aluminum heads surfaced, weather they need it or not.

Victor shows a 502 in the General Motors Marine section of the GP catalog, but it's 4.47" and shows only nitro-seal. I'm guessing but I'd think a Marine 502 would be similar to the General Motors Perfromane Parts 502? If so, maybe Victor Performance offers a Solicor SCR or SC for the 502 with a 4.47" bore.
dave

Old 01-05-2002, 01:09 AM
Pooh-Bah

chevota is an unknown quantity at this point

Never seen a Victor. I use Fel-Pro myself, mainly for the variety of shapes/sizes and styles they make for the sm Chevy.

If you want some kick ass valve cover gaskets, then check-out Speedwaymotors.com;
#91017001, "SUPER SEAL" Not only are they the best gaskets I've ever used, they are re-usable over and over and they are only $7.95 a pair!

They also have the 5-1/8" round carb to air cleaner gasket. You know the one that doesn't really seal or last. Speedways gasket actually seals, and survives the sharp edge of a typical aftermarket air cleaner.

Chevota
Old 01-06-2002, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave-

I have always been partial to using what works. for my oil pan gaskets, I get them from summit, they are SCE. Nice self sealing rubber, with washers and steel embedded. Never leaked, and I have re-used it now once. For everything else, I use fel-pro, except the timing cover, I use the Right Stuff, from Permatex. I also use that stuff for the valve covers. Works great, seals awesome, and never has given me any trouble. It is $$$ @ about $15 a tube. Goes on with a small caulking gun. Just my .02

Ryno

Sponsored Links
Advertisement