Flipping the top of the air canister - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Small Trucks & SUV's

GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2000, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Flipping the top of the air canister

If i were to flip the top of my air canister over to provide more air do I need to have the K & N air filtr or will the stock one be suficent. Will this let to much dust in the engine if I change it often. Also what happens if H20 gets in there will the filter stop it or will it cause me problems? Thanks for any responces.

1995 Extended Cab Truck, 4X4, 4.3 V6 TBI, 31/10.5/15 BFG AT's, American Racing Rims/8"/Neutral, 3" Trailmaster Body Lift, Westin Side Bars.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Flipping the top of the air canister

well, if your removing the top, then you want more airflo, and you won't acheive that with a stock filter. The K&Ns are awesome becuase you buy it once, and just clean it every 50k miles, but more improtantly, they let the engine breath.

Water is bad. Unless you have a snorkel, you risk taking in water regardless of your setup. Sure, the filter will stop alot of the water, but only when it is dry. Once it gets wet, its all over. Just know how deep you can go, and never take water at high speeds.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2000, 03:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the K/N filter charger on my 91 S10 Blazer.

1991 S10 Blazer Tahoe 4x4. Edelbrook Headers, Holley 670cfm TBI, K/N filter charger, 30-9.5-15 tires, rebuild worked tranny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-292626-holleytbi2.jpg (33.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-29-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if your just tooling around town the flipped air top will give you more air flow, granted not as much as a k&n but it will help... the only prob i had was when it rained really hard my engine would miss... so if you live in a dry area go for it!!! otherwise just watch the weather..

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Old 12-29-2000, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't see anything wrong with it, It would be like having 360 degree open element. Just flip it back the right way when its really wet out.

Old 01-04-2001, 06:06 PM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

This will probably draw some criticism, but oh well[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Flipping the lid on your air filter will give you more air regardless of the filter(this is good)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
But it is HOT AIR from the engine compartment(this is bad)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I am no "Mr. Science" but I think the problem is something like hot air is thinner, so taking in MORE hot air is no better then taking in less cold air.

What you really want is MORE "COLD" AIR!!!

Open elements and flipping the lid is deceiving, because you can now hear your carb/injectors vacuum when you step on the throttle, making it SEEM more responsive,
but it is not, in fact it will get worse gas mileage this way.
(Most things that increase power will also increase mileage)

The FIRST & BEST thing you can do is replace your stock filter with a K&N they breath better/easier, thus increasing power and performance[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] regardless of if you do anything else, this will still help! and like someone else said you will never have to buy another filter again!

Then if you want more, you can replace your aircleaner with a more expensive aftermarket one that draws more outside cold air
(several companies make these $$$[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]).

Or you can "MODIFY" your existing air cleaner to allow more "COLD AIR" in.
I have a good way of modifying your existing aircleaner, it is what I have done to practically everything I have had for years. It will make a noticeable difference. will not effect emissions testing or inspection and the best part is it only cost a couple bucks, a little time and NO special tools [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Look at your stock setup and think of it this way "Anything between the cold outside air and your intake is a restriction" the easier the flow, the more air you will get, and the more performance you will gain.
Unless you live in a very cold climate, that whole butterfly heat riser thingy is restriction and gets removed and a couple vacuum lines are capped.
also on the S series there is USUALLY a plug on your radiator support to remove, and if you want a little more you can do a little extra cutting on the radiator support to open that previously plugged hole open even further.
And you now have a "cold ram air setup" and the only cost is about $35 for a new K&N filter and $3 for vacuum plugs
(plugs are optional but look much better then screws stuck in the end of a vacuum line[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

I was thinking about trying to write a step by step article with photos outlining exactly what to do. I will see if I can get on it now that the holidays are over.
you would not believe the number of restrictions that were on my 1990 truck with a 454 I removed 4 significant restrictions on it. if I do an article I will outline it as well.
speaking of which how do you submit an article ????

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement