1987 Chevy S10 4x4 Blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Small Trucks & SUV's

GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2000, 06:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 1987 Chevy S10 4x4 Blazer

My Blazer is my first truck and a have a few questions to ask of anyone who has answers.
1. What is the gear ratio on the rear end of a 1987 S10 4x4?
2. Is there any distinguishing mark on the gas tank which could help me identify wether or not it's a 13 or 20 gal tank?
3. I have the 2.8l V6 and it's running great with 120k miles on it. Is there anything I should be concerned with as the engine gets on in mileage?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2000, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1987 Chevy S10 4x4 Blazer

Hi,
If you can check in your glove box and look for all of the three digit codes like, GT4, G80.... I can tell you what gear ratio that you have. I don't have a complete decoder book so I can't help much on the gas tank size. As far as keeping your truck running well, keep up on the maintinence, and oil changes. I had an 87 Blazer with 177k on it when I sold it, and it ran great, but it had very regular oil changes. Hope this is helpful, and I'll watch for your reply with your three digit codes.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Blazernut

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-2000, 01:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best way to tell what gear ratio your truck has would be to pull the rear differential cover after picking up some gear lube, some limited slip differential additive(if you have the limited slip rear diffy) and a gasket or tube of RTV(RTV is what I use). The ratio is stamped into the ring gear in the form of 45:11 and then you just divide the big number by the little number and you get your ratio. Then just refill to the proper level with gear lube.

No distinguishing mark that I know of, but you could measure the dimensions of the gas tank (height, width, and depth all measurements must be in inches for this to work), multiply the 3 (h*w*d) together and you'll get cubic inches. To convert that to gallons, divide the number you just got (double check that it's in inches or you'll get a nonsense answer) by 231 which will approximate the volume of your gas tank in gallons. If the answer isn't too much more than the 13 gallon tank, within 4 or 5 gallons, then you have a 13 gallon tank. They call it a "13 gallon" tank but it has a few gallon reserve. If it's over 20, then you likely have the 20 gallon tank... Might be a bit more work than trying to decode the build codes but maybe not...

Make sure the little beastie gets regular oil and filter changes and you shouldn't have to do too much more with it.

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Old 10-19-2000, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As long as you're decoding gear ratio codes, what does G06 stand for? Its off a '92 2wd. I've jacked it up and turned the wheels but I'm still not positive of the ratio. Any help would be great-

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Old 10-19-2000, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't find a G06, are you sure that it's not a GU6, GU6 is a 3.42 ratio, and a very common one for S-trucks.
Hope this is what you needed.
Blazernut

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.