Oil pouring out the bottom of my engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Small Trucks & SUV's

GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2000, 11:39 AM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil pouring out the bottom of my engine

(1987 S15 Jimmy 2.8) Last night I pull into my driveway. All of a sudden the oil pressure gauge drops to ZERO the "Check Gages" light starts flashing!!! I turn the truck off, I already smell burning oil! I look underneath and oil is pouring out the bottom of my engine. Oil is everywhere! and about 1.5 quarts on the driveway!!!
I couldn't see where it had come from. I added a fresh qt of oil and crawled under the truck and had my wife start it up. Oil came shooting out the back of the oil pressure sensor!!! from under the cap where the 3 wires plug in. I removed and replaced the sensor last night, the oil was coming out of a hole right between the 3 electrical plugs. On the new one it looks like there is a check valve or a rubber plug in there. Has anyone ever had this happen before???

At first I was really pissed! this happened after working a 12hr day, and I ended up working on this until 10:30 at night[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img].
But today I now realize how lucky I am!!! this happened in my driveway[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and not going down the freeway!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2000, 12:45 PM
Pooh-Bah

J.R. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil pouring out the bottom of my engine

Man that really sucks...

You're right, you were very lucky it happened at or near home and you could shut the motor down quick enough and not be stranded...

I had a similar problem when I hit my remote oil filter mount on my '98 4x4. And I was in the middle of a forest in Mexico at the time. NOT COOL. We ended up bypassing the oil filter entirely to get it to run.

But anyway, glad to see that you got it fixed... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-12-2000, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didnt actually have it happen to me, but my grandfather's car started leaking oil really bad and when I checked it out the oil sending unit was ruptured or something. I had to replace it with a new one and then it was fine. I put a new sending unit in my truck 89 S-10 4X4/2.8L. I dont mind telling you it was a son of a gun. LOL If you can find a socket long enough to fit the stock unit then it wont go on because it hits the bell housing. I ended up cutting a wrench in half so I could get to it to take it out. Did you have that problem with yours ? How did you overcome that problem ? Maybe your idea was better than mine.

Old 07-13-2000, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Same exact thing happened to me, except I was about 2 miles from home... made it home ok, but what a mess!

Oil was coming out in exactly the same spot, between the wiring...

Glad you made it home ok.

Old 07-13-2000, 10:18 AM
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Cuttingedge, I did the exact same thing ![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I removed the oil filter and then I could reach the sensor with a 15mm wrench, through the wheel well, but the back of the wrench hit the frame and I couldnt turn it, so I used my grinder and cut it in half, then it worked pretty good. That wrench is now part of my on board collection of tools[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2000, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I am glad to hear that I didnt cut my wrench in half for nothing. LOL I kinda hated to do that but didnt see any other option. The dough I spent on the sending unit socket was money thrown away though. I did consider maybe buying the right size wrench in a racheting wrench, but figured the standard wrench would be cheaper to replace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement