S-10 Straight Axle Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Small Trucks & SUV's

GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2000, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default S-10 Straight Axle Swap

Does anyone know of any information about a straight axle swap for
an S-series, other than Mark Hall? I would like to use Jeep axles
maybe or anything other than a 9" rear. Anybody ever done one? I know
I will likely have to narrow the axle and fabricate mounts. I would
like to use 73-87 GM front springs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2000, 11:40 PM
Addict

diver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: S-10 Straight Axle Swap

Yes, there is a guy in Florida that I saw an article in a 4x4 mag a few months ago that did one with a Dana 35? out the front of a jeep because it has a actuated lock in front end like the S-10. I could dig up the number maybe for you. He said it was a night mare & was suppossed to send me pics but didn't-go figure. But, call 1-888-543-8548 Maximum Offroad in San Antonio, TX. Talked them today & they have even put 44's on a S-10.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2000, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got my latest issue of Four Wheeler (June 2000) and in the letters section they say a guy in Colorado has developed a kit for a solid front axle swap in the S-10's. Four Wheeler said they will run the full story on this in next months issue. Cheers, Marty

Old 05-18-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any one who does a solid swap I want first dibs on the IFS!!! Need it for the D-44 IFS swap.. Arms, knuckles, axle, sub frame, CV's the hole shebang....

-Troy <font color=red>'WeaZle' </font color=red> McCarty
Old 05-21-2000, 02:14 AM
Addict

diver is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there was a 96 ZR2 Pickup in 4x4 power Jan 2000 issue. Its a readers rigs photo in the back of the book & Bobby's 4-wheel-drive in Ft Pierce, FL did the Dana 35 with leaf springs. I called him & the number is 561-460-6061. What caused it was the girl had that truck new, some shop screwed it up trying to lift it, so it messed the IFS up & the frame too. The only recourse was to cut it all out & go solid. He said it was a huge nightmare & has pics of start to finish. He was supposed to send them to me, but you know how that goes. Also, the hubs had to be redrilled on the front because she already had wheels & tires, so his options were limited. Plus, with the Auto 4wd option he had to use a frontend that would acuate & lock in like stock. I think the front was out of a late model jeep cherokee. She had those Eagle series 58's so a front end with locking hubs wouldn't fit through her hubs. If you look at the photo, she had like 38.5 swampers on it. It looks really good. It busted her open like from the 1st shop tearing it up, to the purchase of all replacement suff, & labor about $5000. So, after picking up the truck she ended up letting it go back to a dealer for a song. I missed trying to buy it by about two weeks.

Old 05-21-2000, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys! I missed out on having my truck done for our local 4 Wheel Jambo in Lima this weekend, I haven't even started on the bodywork or the engine yet. I will look into the Dana 35 swap, I wonder if I could swap in manual hubs on it and maybe some 4.56's? My frame was "tweaked" as well from a previous accident, but I will be aligning it soon. I will probably keep the NP231 for now, as it works fine. I will probably do a springover conversion on the rear, and maybe blocks to match the front. I'll probably run about a 33x12.50x15 Super Swamper SSR tire on it, and some narrow 33" Boggers for off road, to keep up with my friend and his 94 F250 3"body, 35x12.50x16.5 Mud Kings, and his new 350X he runs around with. I just like to drive something unique, and well engineered. Thanks again.
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3

Old 05-21-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah, BTW I knew I should have stayed in Florida! Aren't too many 4x shops
in Ohio, just low-riders, and Civics on testosterone
A.S.
1989 S10 4x4 355
1989 SBlazer 4x4 4.3

Old 05-22-2000, 10:58 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>No such thing as narrow 33" Boggers. 33X14.50 is the only 33" size. The only "narrow" Boggers are 38.5X11. 31's are 12.50, and all other sizes are 14.50 or wider. You want to kick some booty with nasty tires on an S-10? 34X9.50 TSL. You will leave that F250 behind.

Check out the July '99 issue of Off-Road for pics on a friend's S-10 solid swap. The 427 has since been replaced by a 488, & the 39.5 Swamper/Bogger combo has been replaced by 38.5X11 Boggers on 16X7's. That truck's fast! </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Old 05-26-2000, 09:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for setting me straight on that one. I will get some 34x9.50's TSL's.
BTW his F250 is stock running a 5.0/auto and little girly gears. I doubt that it can even turn the 35's on pavement(maybe not off-road either) The one I watch for is his Dads 88 Ranger with a Badd Ass351 being built for it, and a Dana 44/9inch swap. he has 33's on it now with stock STX lift. They also have a 68 Bronco mud runner(scary) and an 85 BroncoII which is slated to get a 5.0 liter/bronco axle swap. They truly are Ford FReaks. He knows where the good trails are though. I'll check out the issue, thankS! I had planned on doing a 3/4 ton axle swap at first with a 454 and a turbo 400, but I decided to tone it down a bit, after all I want to be able to drive it to Lima to the 4Wheel Jambo next year, no trailers.
A>S.

Old 05-30-2000, 11:14 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>My buddy with the 488 could never drive his. He put two gallons of fuel in it at a race last year & ran out of gas on his second pass through a 150-foot pit!</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement