2.8 & 3.4 interchangable parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Small Trucks & SUV's

GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2002, 04:08 PM
Aprentice

DesertToy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2.8 & 3.4 interchangable parts

Hi All...
I'm from over on the Toyota board, but I am looking into getting a 84 S-10 with a 2.8L (the motor is history - water in oil & apparently the engine froze on him - it will not budge with starter)...

Anyway, I have been reading here that the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird (93-95) or the 3.4 motor from GM has the same bolt patterns for mounting all accessories & directly to the transmission. (I understand the issues about the flex plate, timing chain cover, oil pan, intake manifold, etc.)

My questions (and this is just in case I can not get a very good 3.4 from the junk yard) are: will the crankshaft and connecting rods from a 3.4 fit in a 2.8? (I was wondering because I could bore out the 2.8 - and if I could put the 3.4 crank & rods in the 2.8, I should have the same motor...) From the research I have done, it appears that the 3.4 crankshaft is basically the same one that is in a 3.1. If this is correct, will any of the 3.1 cranks fit in a 2.8?

Thanks for any information!

<font color=blue> DesertToy </font color=blue>

1986 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 22R-TE, 31 BFG
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2002, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 2.8 & 3.4 interchangable parts

As far as the crank and rods, yep they are the same journal size as the 2.8 so that will fit in. The 3.4 does use the 3.1 crank and rods. I am not 100% postive right of the top of my head but I don't think you can bore the 2.8 out to the 3.4. I can look it up in my stuff out in the barn, you can bore it to a 3.1 and use 3.1 crank, rods, and pistons. All you would have to do is get a crank from a 90-92 camaro/firebird (has to be a RWD 3.1 obviously) and then rods and pistons to match... if you have any other questions just ask away

Nick
allterrain_87@hotmail.com
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 3.4l v6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-17-2002, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dont forget to have the whole assembly balanced before expecting it to live...good luck!

Old 02-18-2002, 10:15 AM
Aprentice

Thanks for the replies! Now I have a few more questions...

(1) Is there is noticeable increase in power from the 3.1 to the 3.4?

(2) I have been reading that the 3.4 (from GM) is legal in 49 states (excluding California). Now, since I am in California, that poses a smog check problem/issue, I think... Does anyone know why that is (not smog legal in CA)? I have not been able to find anything on the web telling me why... Also, Nick, your post says you have a 3.4 (supercharged!!), do you have any measurements from a smog test with your 3.4 and if so, what were they (just wanted to see if they would be within CA smog limits).

(3) Also, you said you did not think the 2.8 could be bored to 3.4. I found this link to a place that would sell me (I have not called about a price yet) - a 3.4 short block (and I could use everything else from my 2.8 - I am assuming they must have to put in a thicker sleeve or do they just bore it out to the max and after the engine gets tired you toss it?? Just curious..). Here is the link to the site...

http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm2834stkr.html

Have you heard of this place and do you know anything about it or how much it would cost? Also, when they ask for a good core, I am assuming a 2.8 core, correct? I will try and give them a call later today or tomorrow...

(4) If I go from a 2.8 to a 3.1 or 3.4, will I still be able to use the carb from the 2.8? (I understand it could probably take a larger one, but would the stock one be adequate?)

I will probably have (a lot) more questions after I call this guy (above) and make a visit to my local wrecking yard. Thanks for all your help!

Allan

Old 02-18-2002, 10:19 AM
Aprentice

Roger on the balance - every engine that I have ever rebuilt (except the first one) has gotten balanced. Learned this from my first one long ago! Haven't had a problem since - it's worth the few extra bucks! Thanks!

Allan

Old 02-18-2002, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope I don't, thankfully here in Michigan we don't have those pesky smog tests.
Not sure about that boreing mine 3.4 is .030 over right nowand I could have gone to .060 so I would have to assume that a 3.4 starts with a different sleeve. I have never heard of that place but their prices don't seem to be too bad. let us know what you find out. As far as a carb goes you should be fine witha stock carb. If you decide you want a bigger one I made my own adaptor plate to go to a 600 edelbrock. Good luck

Nick
allterrain_87@hotmail.com
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 3.4l v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement