recently purchased 1997 chevy k2500 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Lounge Chevy and GM general discussion, FAQs, OT questions and comments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Talking recently purchased 1997 chevy k2500

hey guys i just joined this website. i have a 1997 chevy k2500, regular cab, 8ft. bed, 5.7L v8, 4x4, auto trans, factory 4.11 posi rear, completely stock. this truck is my meal ticket, because i am a construction contractor. 90% of my driving is on paved roads. i want to be able to handle the potholes, bumps, sand, mud and snow as it comes along. oh yeah,and i also tow cargo trailers. i am new to 4x4 trucks, but ive been customizing and adding performance parts to cars for years now. with all that being said, if you guys or girls were in my position which direction would you take to make my vehicle as fast, fun, functional, and straight awesome as possible. also keep in mind im working within a blue collar budget. thanks everyone in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Journeyman

i've worked construction ,one form or another. landsccaping new houses, masonary, welding and other things that i'm trying to forget. pot holes will get any tire a busted belt or a blister. bfg longtrail is what i have on my yukon, good road manners and decent on snow and ice. but if you're hualin trailers then id suggest bfg allterains or mud terain. if your doin any new construction youll need them when the rain hits airfilter a must specter has a good cold air set up. shocks are another thing to check. my daughter in-law has an extended cab, she wont let me play it. the only other thing is the computers are prone to act up, the only fix that i know is to have the 2 battery cables joined at the battery with one conector[stacking screws them up] maybey see about a chip or programed not sure which it is ? i know they have some setups that are ajustable, bullydog has one for gas and deisel. you can set them for haul mode gas saver or power. i'm mainly old stuff so someone else might know a little more. good luck
mike
p.s. a headach rack is a must along with good bumpers stock don't cut it. a construction site seems to be the worst place for getting bumped or backed into

Idiot proof is a lie considering that all of the idiots have tried it.

Last edited by texas sub; 02-21-2011 at 10:38 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 AM

welcome to the site. first thing I would do would be dump the old exhaust minifolds and all the exhaust and put some headers, good high flow cats with a nice single or dual chambered muffler(s) and bring it out the back with a nice dual exhaust. This will unlock some hidden ponies from under the hood plus make it sound like a truck. Belive me you will feel the diff in power and if your not a lead foot like me, you migt even see beter fuel milage. Then since this is a daily driverr for you and your work machine, I would get some nice AT tires, their the best of both worlds, not an off road tire but not a street tire, their an off road tire meets road in the middle type. They run well on the roads but when you wanna get a little sideways, they will get you threw.

95 GMC Z71. Headers no cats, x-pipe, true dual pipes from the headers back. Ranger 2950 10m ham radio w/102" whip and Radio Shack 2m ham radio w/ Motorola commercial nmo antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
budget build, chevy, customization, k2500, performance parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode