The loss of a great guy. - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Lounge Chevy and GM general discussion, FAQs, OT questions and comments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Journeyman

Thank you Mr. Payne for keeping us up to date. I just want to say that I cannot pass a white crewcab chevy without thinking of Jason. I never met him but he made a hell of an impression over here and on me. Again, Thank You.

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Jason, Merry Christmas buddy.

Shorts
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
Jason, Merry Christmas buddy.
x2

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i can hear metal melting and the mill turning, jason is at home in the fab shop in the sky. he will be missed by all

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
post #25 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Stranger

I'm going to post a few times in a row here just to update everyone; sorry it's taken so long:

Jason's Mom and I were given the Lyrics for a song by a friend that said it sounds like the song was written about Jason.

FIND OUT WHO YOUR FRIENDS ARE by Tracy Lawrence

Run your car off the side of the road
Get stuck in a ditch way out in the middle of nowhere
Or get yourself in a bind lose the shirt off your back
Need a floor, need a couch, need a bus fare

This is where the rubber meets the road
This is where the cream is gonna rise
This is what you really didn't know
This is where the truth don't lie

{Chorus}
You find out who your friends are
Somebody's gonna drop everything
Run out and crank up their car
Hit the gas, get there fast
Never stop to think 'what's in it for me?' or 'it's way too far'
They just show on up with their big old heart

Everybody wants to slap your back
wants to shake your hand
when you're up on top of that mountain
But let one of those rocks give way then you slide back down look up
and see who's around then

This ain't where the road comes to an end
This ain't where the bandwagon stops
This is just one of those times when
A lot of folks jump off

{Chorus}

When the water's high
When the weather's not so fair
When the well runs dry
Who's gonna be there?

{Chorus}

Somebody's gonna drop everything
Run out and crank up their car
Hit the gas, get there fast
Never stop to think 'what's in it for me?' or 'it's way too far'
They just show on up with their big old heart

Run your car off the side of the road
Get stuck in a ditch way out in the middle of nowhere
(Well man, I've been there)
Or get yourself in a bind lose the shirt off your back
Need a floor, need a couch, need a bus fare
(Man, I've been there)

Man, I've been there
Oooh yeah.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Stranger

I was talking about buying a Blazer and building it to wheel just prior to completing J’s Truggy and here is what I posted about a dream I had:

I woke up on Tuesday morning with having heard from Jason for now the second time; as you will remember, the first time was when I was told to have Cracker come to Bakersfield and get involved because “I’m worried about him and he’s taking it real hard” and at the time I had no idea who Cracker was. Here is a recap the best I could remember as it was told to me, and I truly believe it came from Jason.

“Why are you spending money building a Blazer when for what you will spend on it you can fix my truck as I wanted it and drive it? Repair and complete the truck just as I wanted to do but never had the time, money or nerve. There were items like removing the dash, headliner and carpet that I wanted to do but never had the nerve because I thought you and mom would never understand what I was doing to my truck. Talk to people, they will tell you all the things I wanted to do over the years and if you have any questions, ask me. They will talk about 4-wheel steering, my new F16 switching, they will remember. Also, take my hood off and hang it on the wall of the new shop/barn for everyone to see; but don’t make it a memorial to me. Make the barn a place where all my friends in both clubs can meet quarterly for a Bar-B-Q gathering so they can remain close. This is important to me, I want them to celebrate all of our friendships and not morn me but remember me as one of them and with them, because I am.

Now for Geoff , I don’t want him to give up on his truck, so I want his truck taken to the same shop that does mine, have them install the mogs exactly the same as mine and that way if they have any questions they can look at mine. Use the mog axle that is in the rear of my truck in his and then have them install a steering axle in the rear of my truck. Geoff doesn’t have a lot of money and I was planning on helping him in that area so what I would like you to do is pay for the installation of the axles as a loan to Geoff that he will pay back someday when he’s a doctor.

I want you, Esteban, my brother and Chris to take my truck and I want Geoff to go along with you in his truck and drive my truck to honor me.”

Also, every night for the last week I kept hearing; “put a sign on the back of the truck –

God is my Spotter
Willyswanter is riding shotgun!

I was thinking this was for the Blazer but now I realize it is Jason’s Truggy. I told Debbie what I remember from my sleep and she said Jason has been saying all along, “Take my truck and wheel it, I think it will be fun to watch you guys trying to drive it; but don’t worry, I’ll watch over dad”.

This is about the cover story in the local newspaper that ran on January 6, 2008:

Off-road guru had knack for helping others
BY JASON KOTOWSKI, Californian staff writer
e-mail: jkotowski@bakersfield.com | Saturday, Jan 5 2008 9:05 PM

Jason Paul Payne seemingly knew everything there is to know about off-road vehicles and electronics.

But he might have been best at helping out others.

"He would do anything for you," said Kyle Crowley, a friend of Payne's.

Payne, 25, of Bakersfield, drowned near Lake Tahoe on Aug. 23.

His father, Ken Payne, said he knew his son was very knowledgeable about vehicles, but he didn't realize how many other people also knew it. Jason Payne went by the name "Willyswanter" online and dispensed advice and information about off-roading to anyone who asked.

After his son's death, Ken Payne began receiving e-mails from people across the country and even other countries about how Payne answered their questions about any off-roading problem they encountered. Ken Payne was stunned by the response.

"We knew he liked building trucks and off-roading, but he was a quiet, humble type of guy," he said.

Payne graduated from Garces Memorial High School in 2000 and attended Bakersfield College with a focus on industrial technology. Ken Payne said his son was always the go-to guy whenever someone in the family had a question.

Most recently employed at Croad Electric in Bakersfield, Payne excelled at welding and electrical work. He often gave friends advice on how to outfit their off-road vehicles.

Geoffrey Graham, who, like Crowley, met Payne online, said he misses discussing off-roading with Jason and the friendship he provided. His death was devastating, Graham said.

"That day was nothing but sitting at the computer and crying," Graham said.

Bakersfield resident Esteban Solano, another friend, said Payne had a knack for explaining detailed equipment online and how to build different parts. He could provide in-depth information on whatever off-roading question someone had.

Solano remembers days spent driving through the hills at Hart Park and how Payne even befriended Solano's children. His death has hit the children hard, too.

Payne was born Aug. 2, 1982, and by the time he was 11 he had his life planned out, Ken Payne said. He sometimes told his father that he didn't expect to live past 30, and he spent his days always on the move, as if he didn't have time to rest.

"We were lucky to have him for 25 years," Ken Payne said.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Stranger

On the 1st of May 2008, my wife Debbie was missing Jason a lot and ask him to let her know if he was there. At that moment the radio in our kitchen clicked just like the on/off button was pushed and the radio went off. She went over and pushed the on button and the song Angels by Randy Travis was just starting. She knows it was Jason just letting her know he was there.

On the 8th of May 2008: Debbie was cleaning J's house he had purchased and was remodeling, getting ready for the painter and J's radio in the Kitchen all of a sudden came on. She was in a different room, so went in there and no one was around. She checked to see if it was on alarm or something, even though she and others have been in the house at this same time. Anyway, the radio was in the “on” position and not alarm so once again – explain this one!

On the 12th of July 2008: Now for the latest Willyswanter’s Mom story; many of you have read over the last several months about her dreams, well here’s another. For the last 30 days Debbie has been telling me about a reoccurring dream she has about our neighbor’s house catching on fire. The last time she had the dream was a couple of days ago and today it caught on fire! She was out front and decided for some reason she needed to go in back and start some laundry even though she was planning on doing it tonight. When she got in back she heard loud popping and looked over the fence to see smoke coming out of the house. She called the fire department and then went to see if our neighbors were home and they were not. She then got their dogs out of the back yard so they would be safe and decided to start worry about our house. Anyways, only two rooms on the neighbors house burn and ours was safe just because something (or someone) told Debbie to go to the back yard!

On 28th of July 2008: Many of you will not believe what I’m going to tell you and trust me, I used to be one of you, but I’ve been proven wrong.

When we took the truggy to JR’s, Jason’s mom Debbie was not happy; she wanted the truck to stay at our house. She never told me or anyone but she felt that if the truck left, so would Jason’s spirit that had so actively communicated with her. As it turned out, when the truck went south, Jason’s messages to his Mom during her sleep diminished dramatically and she stopped sensing his presence all together. Now after 2 ˝ months the truck is home and last night Debbie sensed Jason all evening around us and then today she felt and actually smelt his deodorant scent around the house. She told me mid-morning today and she was much happier.

Then today before lunch she was walking our dog and a neighbor two blocks away stopped her and ask how she is doing. She told him she was OK and he said I have something to tell you but it might upset you. She told him to go on, not having any idea what he was about to say and keep in mind; he met Jason only once but Jason heard us talk about this guy all the time because we always stop and talk to him.

He said:

“This last Thursday night I had a very real dream about your son Jason. There was someone short standing in front of a blond haired blue eyed young man but that person in front was very blurry. When I first saw him I didn’t know who he was and he waved at me (and our neighbor showed a wave across the front of his body exactly like Jason always waived). I kept telling him, I know you from somewhere, who are you? The young man just shrugged his shoulders and raised his arms slightly with palms up but didn’t say anything (Jason did that jester all the time when we would ask him something and he didn’t have an answer). I asked him again who he was and he got this smirky small smile and said something but it was all garbled. I kept telling him I know you from somewhere but he just kept looking at me with that smile and then I said; you’re Jason, Debbie’s son! Then all of a sudden the person in front of him was clear and it was Debbie and Jason spoke where I could understand and he answered by saying “yes I’m Jason”. Then Jason asked me to tell his mom that he loved her and for some reason he’s not been able to tell her. I told him I would tell his mom and he got that same smirky smile and said thanks and I woke up.”

Anyway, believe it or not, that’s up to each of you but I’ve had it proven to me too many times now to question it. Have a great life and may God bless each of you.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Stranger

The 13th of September 2008: Jason’s Plaques arrived yesterday as scheduled and they are perfect and we are very happy with them (pictures from Moab to follow). I went out last night and purchased everything I could imagine we would need to install the Moab plaque on a rock face. Brought it all home in 5 Lowe’s bags. Today I was looking at all the crap I bought and Willyswanter’s Mom walked by and said “There’s a canvas tool bag in Jason’s apartment; why don’t you put all of it in there, it will be easier to carry”. Once again I thought (to myself) she’s crazy, all this won’t fit. But as a good husband wanting to prove her wrong, I went to J’s place and found the bag which was full of broken electrical parts; must be his trash bag from his trouble shooting jobs. I cleaned it and set down next to my 5 full bags of crap and started loading it and you guessed it, it all fit perfectly and exactly, no extra room. Then; just as I told her it all fit, “Spirit in the Sky” started playing on the radio like it was planned; Willyswanter’s Mom just turned towards me and smiled. No more words were spoken, I just went out side to be alone and cry - again.

Here is link to all the albums of the trip including 1315 photos including plaque installation; boy did we get carried away: Pictures by Geltyone2 - Photobucket

ON 19th of December 2008: Here we go again; here I am working on the “Feature Truck Technical Information & Release Form” for 4 Wheel & Off-Road. At 11:58PM my phone rang and my wife Debbie asked from the other room who the heck is calling at this time of night. I looked at my phone’s caller ID and it showed Debbie Payne and here phone number. I answered the phone and could hear noise that sounded like a bunch of people off in a distance talking softly. I kept say hello and then it hang up. By that time Debbie was standing next to me and asks “Who called” and I said, “You did”. I showed her that call recorded which showed Debbie Payne and her number. I asked, “Did you loose your phone, where is your phone”. She said, “It’s in the Kitchen”. I followed her into the Kitchen and her phone was lying on the counter. I pushed recall to call back whoever called me and her phone rang.

OK guys, explain this one!

Posted 18th of January 2009: I SURVIVED THE HAMMERS and when I challenged JR to a night race he said he would have to pass; I know he was shaking in his boots. But there was a moment along Aftershock that something very loud, spitting sand in all directions and what seemed to be florescent green in color went by me but I’m not sure what it was; just another Hammer’s UFO!

We ran Claw Hammer as a warm up and the only problem was it took hours because of Toyota pickups that were stuck, winching and with blown tires impeding our progress. Nice bunch of guys but finally four of our group of twelve rigs passed the Toys and after waiting about an hour for the rest of our group to find a place to pass, the four of us left behind a major traffic jam at the waterfall and completed Claw. We went from there to Aftershock where we proceeded to work our big long rig through all the obstacles; that is after observing the UFO. By the time we made it to the top of Aftershock it was time for desert racing back to camp which was completed as darkness set in.

That lead to JR showing up and cowardly backing away from the challenge of the big Camo Rock Star Limo; with him tucking his rear steering under him and slithering off into the night (after asking if we knew where his camp was and being pointed in the right direction). Shuck’uns, that’s funny no matter who you are!

We made it home about midnight making it a 20 hour day but a great day at that and NOTHING BROKEN! I forgot to mention that we had no Fun Buggy sightings, seems Fred was under the weather this weekend.

I just posted in J’s build thread about our Hammers trip but I wanted to mention a couple of things that happened while at the Hammers in this thread. We arrived at about 8:30AM at the NorCal / SoCal Big Dawgs combined camp site. Not very many people came over to say HI but what I was told later was; “When we all saw the Jason’s Dodge rolling across the desert floor towing that big green truck, we all stopped talking and it took us a while to compose ourselves before we could talk again”. Once unloaded, I drove around looking at all the rigs in the different camp sites and as I drove by, people would stop doing whatever they were doing and just stood there waiving and just staring.

Later while on Aftershock there was a guy watching the rigs and he asked me, “Isn’t that Jason Payne’s truck?” and I said yes, I’m his dad. He then proceeds to say, “He was just one of the greatest young men, one of the sharpest young men and I just really liked being around him and doing things with him. I’m so sorry about what happened, it was such a great tragedy”. I was later told he was with Four Wheeler magazine.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the update. No doubt Jason was a special guy.

Shorts
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 02:51 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

For those who don't know, Jason and his CC truggy are featured in an article in Peterson's 4wheel & Off-Road (May 2009) edition, pg. 38. A great story about Jason, and his fabrication of the CC, and about Jason's family & friends finishing the portals etc.

A great story, about a fantastic guy, his truck, and gift. In my humble opinion, long overdue. I am so glad to see the CC up and out wheeling again... but can't help but wish Jason was there at the helm. But, I know he's got to be happy to know it's doing what it was meant to do.

Good for you, jason!

A pain in the worlds butt, since 1967
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode