The loss of a great guy. - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Lounge Chevy and GM general discussion, FAQs, OT questions and comments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I can't even think of the proper words to express how much of a loss the death of Mr Payne has been, not only to the off roading community, but to the world. I too remember the buildups he did, the chatroom antics, and that winning "can-do" attitude he always had. He seemed to always know just what he wanted, and just what to do in order to manage it.

God must've needed a good fabricator for something he's workin' on, 'cause he certainly called a good one back home.

Rest in Peace Jason.

"... And I'm much too young to feel this dam* old"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I am completely at a loss upon hearing of Jason's death. I saw it posted on CK5 and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have not posted there, but instead, felt I should post here, .. where I first met Jason on this board. Many nights Jason and I would pass some time sending PM's back and forth. Like any guys, sometimes the topics were of our trucks.. or other interests.. or sometimes it was just photo-chopping funny things onto or into pics of the others truck. (I find myself hoping I still have those pictures saved somewhere)

Over the years Jason and I didn't keep in contact like we did in those days. But there were several times since I bought my current K5, that I would PM him a question... either from here, or at CK5. I always knew I could count on Jason for the straight "poop" on whatever I had a qustion about. When others said it had to be this way or that way.. you could always count on Jason for a well thought out, real world, and experienced answer.

He would tell me to get the K5 done, and come out to such and such event, and I'd always tell him I was trying. It occurs to me now, that if there is one single regret I have about not having the K5 done, it's that. Of all the many years I've been wheeling, Jason was one person I looked forward to getting to wheel with someday. Unfortuntaly, that first in person meeting will never come. But it pales in the sad reality that a truely gifted, and bright young person is gone from us. From the PM's and emails, I feel I can say that jason was truely and upstanding young man, who's presence will be truley and sorely missed by those who knew him. I find it sadly ionic that the last post I read of Jason's, was about his friend "dozer", who passed away earlier this month. I couldn't know then, that I would be posting about Jason, in the same manner. It literally breaks my heart.

So, so long, Jason. Gods speed my friend. I'm glad to have known you only a little, than not at all. Perhaps someday, we'll meet.

A pain in the worlds butt, since 1967
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman View Post
I am completely at a loss upon hearing of Jason's death. I saw it posted on CK5 and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have not posted there, but instead, felt I should post here, .. where I first met Jason on this board. Many nights Jason and I would pass some time sending PM's back and forth. Like any guys, sometimes the topics were of our trucks.. or other interests.. or sometimes it was just photo-chopping funny things onto or into pics of the others truck. (I find myself hoping I still have those pictures saved somewhere)

Over the years Jason and I didn't keep in contact like we did in those days. But there were several times since I bought my current K5, that I would PM him a question... either from here, or at CK5. I always knew I could count on Jason for the straight "poop" on whatever I had a qustion about. When others said it had to be this way or that way.. you could always count on Jason for a well thought out, real world, and experienced answer.

He would tell me to get the K5 done, and come out to such and such event, and I'd always tell him I was trying. It occurs to me now, that if there is one single regret I have about not having the K5 done, it's that. Of all the many years I've been wheeling, Jason was one person I looked forward to getting to wheel with someday. Unfortuntaly, that first in person meeting will never come. But it pales in the sad reality that a truely gifted, and bright young person is gone from us. From the PM's and emails, I feel I can say that jason was truely and upstanding young man, who's presence will be truley and sorely missed by those who knew him. I find it sadly ionic that the last post I read of Jason's, was about his friend "dozer", who passed away earlier this month. I couldn't know then, that I would be posting about Jason, in the same manner. It literally breaks my heart.

So, so long, Jason. Gods speed my friend. I'm glad to have known you only a little, than not at all. Perhaps someday, we'll meet.
Tx, I think most of us here spent night's PM back-and-forth with him. He was a wealth of knowledge that I for one will truely miss. I remember when I was the n00b who just got here (1997ish) and if I couldn't find an answer I was looking for he would patiently help me out. Anyone remember when he got his Vertical CNC Mill? I found the software he needed for it, and mailed it to him.

I know of a few members we should get ahold of: Kris (Peacock), Patrick (Sparty, he had Jason build him a recovery deal for his receiver hitch), and BigBlue (don't remember his real name). Anyone get a piece of the big white crew cab when he cut the bed up? I wanted one, but never asked for it. I had an opportunity to go meet him a few years ago in Goldendale when he came up for the Rock Crawling event, but my schedule didn't allow it, I'm bummed now.

Whatever's left of the crew cab by the time I get to meet him, I want a ride in it.

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yep he'll be missed. Heres just a taste of the good ol days..

JASON'S NEW SPOTTER

A pain in the worlds butt, since 1967
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Journeyman

Dammit, I just read his obituary, and the letter from his mom...I can't hardly see straight right now.

Obituary Here

Note & Poem

EDIT: Saw a link to some decals being made by a member of GM Fullsize: Memorial Sticker to Jason

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne

Last edited by 83GMCK2500; 09-01-2007 at 01:58 AM.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM

I was thinking about him yesterday - it's still not real.

Shorts
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

My wife, sister and I made the trip down to Bakersfield this past weekend to pay our respects. We showed up to Esteban's house and Jason's truck was on the front lawn, and I mean on it. The thing is huge, I almost pulled a hammy trying to get on top of the front tire to sign his hood. I crawled under the truck just to see what Jason saw. It's weird, it's not even my truck but just being under there I could point out this and that, like "oh that hole over there, that was a bitch to drill." Jason was a magnificent guy and if you didn't know you'd realize it jsut being there. The truck was one thing but his friends and family, pictures, videos, and the stories it was great. My wife and sister didn't even know Jason but could pick his truck out of a crowd and they had tears in their eyes when we left.
His parents plan on keeping the truck. It is to be finished and driven just like Jason had wanted it to.

I'm still in awe about it all.

1990 K1500 Long Bed,Auto,350,add-a-leaf/t-bar,2" PA Body Lift,K&N,Magnaflow, 285 BFG T/A KO, York OBA, 14 bolt SF w/ Detroit
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

holy ****. I don;t check in here much anymore but i was doing some "engineering" last night and was thinking back on all the knowledge I've obtained from this board and figured I'd check back in to see whats going on. I never expected to see such tragic news. After having gone through multiple deaths in my family, I know exactly what his family is going through. This is not something one would wish on anybody. My thoughts and prayers go out...

Have you ever taken a cooler ice fishing? Well here in Minnesota you have to....to keep your beer from freezing. ---Peacock posted this
post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Stranger

Jason's Truggy is now being completed and you can watch the progress at: My Truck + Mogs = Build Time - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm going to sticky this for a while so folks get a chance to check it out.

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode