Off Roading Forums banner

HMMWV Suspension Upgrade

50K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ronierogers 
G
#1 ·
All you "hummer" lovers, I need some help from all you in the real world. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and we are have a big problem with rear springs breaking. I already know that the vehicles are over loaded (please don't tell me to lighten it). We are adding bolt on ballistic protection, loading it with soldiers and all thier gear and ammo and exceeding its inteneded payload. I think if I can get air shocks or air bags (air springs) I may be able to lessen the ammount considerablely. My problem is I have no way to know what the right ones are on line. I don't know all the good places to go. If anyone could provide me part numbers and manufactorers, me and my soldiers would greatly appriciate it. I want to get a few and test them before I buy a lot.

Thanks ahead of time, Monty

G
#2 ·
I did some quick digging, it looks like the Hummer's had two available GVWR setups. The standard was 10,300#, with an upgrade of 12,100# that included: springs, shocks, brakes, halfshafts, and some reinforced suspension members. Do you know what the DOD ordered for you guys on the HMMWVs? It looks like this place might be a good place to start: http://www.macmotors.com/military.aspx

Contact Info:

------------------------------------------------------------

Military Parts:
1-888-838-4688 Phone
1-215-657-4280 Fax

#5 · (Edited)
I did some quick digging, it looks like the Hummer's had two available GVWR setups. The standard was 10,300#, with an upgrade of 12,100# that included: springs, shocks, brakes, halfshafts, and some reinforced suspension members. Do you know what the DOD ordered for you guys on the HMMWVs? It looks like this place might be a good place to start: http://www.macmotors.com/military.aspx suspension parts

Contact Info:

------------------------------------------------------------

Military Parts:
1-888-838-4688 Phone
1-215-657-4280 Fax
Looks like this is really a good place to start if you own a hummer or any military vehicle. anyway do you guys have any alternative sites than mac motors? i just wanna compare prices. thanks. sorry you reviving this thread.lol no harm done i am just doing some research before buying a thing! :D

#3 ·
I know it has been over a mnth but try ordering the rear springs from an M1113/M1114. These are shelter strucks and up armored vehicles. If you already have M1114s then i don't know what to tell you. I was starting to order these springs for our M1037/1038 shelter carriers before i left for drill sergeant school. I am now at Ft Jackson and can ask around the Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School if anyone has any good info on this.

#4 ·
a little help

The suspension you have on the vehicle already really depends on the config of your vehicle are you in a M1113 Two Door, M1114 Four door, M1152 two door Expanded Capacity Vehicle (ECV), a M1151 Four door (ECV) or an 1165 four door Command and Control vehicle ECV?

The reason I ask this question is because if you are in the M1113 or the M1114 your springs are smaller with a Spring Rate for the front = 2000 lb/in and the rear 3000 lb/in. However, if you are in the M1151, M1152, or M1165 you most likely have upgraded springs and more like 3200 lb/in in the front and 4250 lb/in in the rear.

As for your weight issue all I can say is that for the time being choose carefully the armor package you add to your HMMWV. A fully loaded M1151A1 W/B1 and Frag kits 1, 1A, 2, and 5 weighs in around 13250 lbs before you add the OGPK which is around 800 lbs and your crew and equipment. At 15400 lbs your are approaching the ride load limit for your Load range D tires and you will be operating at 80% of the Chassis' Static load before plastic deformation. AKA maxing it out, the military is working on all these problems so for the moment keep you head down brother and keep safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.