Anyone interested in UAZ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Anyone interested in UAZ?

Hello everyone,

I was looking at a wrangler a couple months ago, and I was completely dumbfounded that a stick shift, manual doors and windows 4 door model cost $30,000+ (I think it had the sport package) By comparison, a new UAZ Hunter has nearly the same amount of features, but costs circa $7000 USD. Now I realize that importing one is a headache to say the least, and not very cheap after all the modifications that need to be done, and taxes that need to be paid. That's what I've been researching for the past couple of months. My question to you all: who here would be interested in buying a brand new UAZ Hunter at or around the $15-20,000 mark if I can get a batch into the US?

Looking at the specs, they are not entirely comparable - the UAZ does not have the same power to weight ratio that the Wrangler enjoys, but lets face it - this jeep was designed and built in Soviэt Яussia, and like most Яussiaи tech, the UAZ has stayed pretty much the same for over 30 years, with very conservative changes, mostly focusing on better manufacturing methods, reliability, and materials.

In my conversations with some friends and relatives who still live in Russia, they sort of laugh whenever I ask them about it. "It's a piece of shh from several decades ago, it doesn't go fast, it's not as comfortable as new jeeps, it's pretty heavy, but if you need to get to a remote village, it's your only option - it won't break down, and it will go places where most other jeeps get stuck. The only thing that will hurt it is salt and rust, even then it will take a couple decades, because the steel is so thick." they tell me. Russians don't install aftermarket parts on their vehicles often, so they are comparing to factory configurations of European, Japanese, and American SUVs (all SUVs are called "jeeps" in Russia).

Let me know what you think.

UAZ Hunter Website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode