|General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..|
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Beginner's vehicle recommendations?
I need advice in selecting an off-road 4WD vehicle. I currently own a full size Ford F250 extended cab 4x4, which is too big, not maneuverable and is easily damaged off road. I am not looking to become an expert "any terrain" driver. Just want to safely explore and do some camping & fishing off road.
These are my desired characteristics:
● To be used on overgrown/abandoned thick forest roads with low branches, dead fall, bushes, rocks etc.
● No shiny surfaces or chrome to blend into the woods.
● Matte surface/paint or some type of protection against damage/scratches. Metal plating?
● Protected under-carriage.
● No high center of gravity.
● Can negotiate reasonably sized logs and rocks. Nothing major.
● Tough, maybe military type exterior, and simple manual systems.
● A vehicle that I can buy, not have to build.
● Not big, easily maneuvered in tight forested areas.
Manual or auto xmsn?
Any good recommended beginner's off road schools in the Portland, OR. area?
Recommended reading material for the beginner. Maybe a magazine subscription that is newbie oriented?
I was looking on eBay at some military vehicles that looked promising. But I think they might be hard to service or find parts for?
Thank you for your help
The m1009 or m1008 blazers are decent not too expensive cheap parts good aftermarket support there kinda large but not terrible besides those i would say....Jeep Cherokee 2dr maybe? smaller but same aspects.
And both have been trail proven.
what about landrover ?
I really love it ,you can get second hand if its not in your budget.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.