Fixing rust spots on body - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > General 4X4 and Off-Road

General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

Dolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fixing rust spots on body

Gemmuns:

I have the usual rust spots popping through the paint on my 68 Jeepster. I'm thinking about just painting them with one of the rust converter type products and then pop riveting a patch over the rust spot. It won't be pretty, but I'm into function and not fashion (plus I don't have the skill and the money to create one of those beautiful, restored Jeepsters that make us all drool). Does anyone have comments or suggestions about patching or cutting out these cancer spots without going to expensive body restoration work? Thanks guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Old Hand

Bobster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fixing rust spots on body

If your cutting the rust out anyway, your almost half done with a "body shop" fix. Just cut a piece of metal to match the piece you cut out, and weld it in (or get a buddy to do it [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])
I lean twards the "slop some rust converter on, and slop some bondo over it" method myself [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Journeyman

Looky is an unknown quantity at this point

Welding is best, but if that's out of the question you can glue the patch on from behind with a special glue made just for body panels. They use this stuff for glueing the door skins on mini vans. We made a test patch on a door panel in one of my classes, the next night we decided to see how tough the patch was, so we took a hunk of pipe to the door panel and caved it in several inches and the glued in patch held.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast

Abuelo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been dealing with rust spots for the past two years on my Jeepster restoration! Ultimately, fixing rust comes down to "time". The best fix takes the most time to do, but it also out lasts the quick repairs. If your looking to get a couple years out of the Jeepster, go ahead and cover the rust with POR-15 rust paint, then use silicone and a sheet metal patch over the rust. It will hold for a couple years untill the rust spreads around (not through) the patch.
If your looking to keep the Jeepster around for a while, don't try to "seal" the rust with paint or goop. Insted, cut the bad section, plus a bit more of the good steel out of the body and then patch it with a new painted and protected piece of sheet metal. Just cut your patch to fit using tin snips. You don't have to weld in the patch if you don't want to. A pop-rivit gun will do the job just fine. It won't be a seamless repair, but it will hold.
Just remember, every short cut you take fixing rust takes time off of the life of the Jeepster body. The art of rust repair is balancing your rust repair effort with the time the rest of the Jeepster is going to last!
Good luck,
Nathan
Old 09-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Addict

i_go_commando is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a rear fender on a pickup that was patched with metal and sealed with silicone. the old man did it after badly warping the fender above it. it worked well, and can never rust again unless the fiberglass gets cracked on either side.

just another option other than welding.

also remeber if you just cover up the rust, or dont remove it, it will come back to haunt you. Bondo is not a rust killer.

The best way is to cut out the rust. A dremel can be used on small spots, but then you will need to fill the depressions, and any rust that is a hole is going to need something over the hole to patch it. i used fiberglass clothe on an old wagoneer to fix the rotted out, chopped out fender wells. It would have been less work to cut out a large area and weld in a large patch thn several small patches

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement