What is stonger more reliablechevy, dodge, or ford - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > General 4X4 and Off-Road

General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2003, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default What is stonger more reliablechevy, dodge, or ford

Post which one out of these three is the strongest or more reliable. I think chevy is the best. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Rembrant has a spectacular aura aboutRembrant has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What is stonger more reliablechevy, dodge, or ford

There must be something wrong with my computer, I didn't see Toyota in your list [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

What vintage are you interested in? and what trucks, Rangers, Dakotas, and S-10s, or Full size 1/2 tons, or 3/4 tons. Diesel or gas?

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

strong and reliable? <font color="blue">FORD</font color> of course [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sparty is an unknown quantity at this point

Personal Preference........its like liquor, everyone picks there own beast
Old 08-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd buy any Chevy truck before they went to IFS. Same with Ford, SFA or TTB and I'd use it, that includes the Super Duty's. Dodge......well, I had a 99, it was a good design, but had some issues. So I'd probably run a Dodge prior to 94, except the half tons from the late 70's with the small 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

Meanwhile I'd drive a Toyota or a Suzuki any day. I own my Ranger because a Toyota Pickup I was looking at was sold before I could get to it.

I've owned a
86 Chevy K5 Blazer
92 Chevy Blazer Sport K1500
93 Geo Tracker 4x4
99 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4
and now my 96 Ford Ranger 4x4

They all have issues, they all have good points. The one I think I loved the most? Might just be the Tracker.........[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Beat on it and it kept coming..........asking for more...........[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

BigNorm is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Ford Motors for the forged internals, Chevy's are cast. I like Chevy TBI, simple and gets the job done. I don't know enough about Dodges to have an opinion. You can't beat a 22R for reliability. I love the little toy motors and they have never let me down. Who can hate Ford's high pinion D60, especially from 86-91 when they came with King pins? Same goes for Chevy's Corporate 14 bolt. Both of these axles on one rig is one stout combo IMO. Jeeps and Zuks have us all beat on wheelbase but lack the width and stability my Bronc gives me in off camber areas. It doesn't take a genius to know that if you incorporate the best of all of these into your own design you can obtain the perfect (in ones own mind) off road rig. I like different pieces off of all of them.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Chad is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience here at my shop, I would go Toyota, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

If fact you'll never see me buy anything other then a Toyota....unless some lucky Ford caught my eye. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

As for TCO (total cost of ownership) a Chevy is going to beat all the others. GM has always been smart enough to use the same parts on multiple vehicles--many not even in the same brand. Go price a SBC starter and a V8 Dodge starter and you'll see what I mean.

As far as reliability, they can all be reliable. Dodge's automatic transmissions suck but their motors are pretty good. Fords TTB is mediocre and their IFS sucks worse than GM's poor excuse for IFS.

Ford's pre-fool injected days had very simple systems which made them a breeze to work on. Chevy was always easy up until the Vortec days. Dodge has always been about the same but as the years wore on they got more and more difficult to work on.

Anyway, your best bet with any manufacturer (whether it be Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Ford, GM, Dodge, et cetera) is to go older rather than newer. You can get beefy trucks these days (they all make 1 tons that aren't going to break, even the cheap GM IFS junk) but expect to pay no less than $35k for one.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You really do not see many chevys on the side of the road that are broken down. You do see a whole lot of fords on the sides of the roads with an orange ribbin hanging out of there windows. For those who posted toyota and suziki those were not an option the options were ford, chevy, and dodge. These are some of the best cars out there. Most americans do not like those cheap cars made in other countries. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow man, I'm betting you're what, 15 years old? Grow up kid. You've obviously never lived in Southern California or anything. "American" cars at best have 50% of the market, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had less than half the market. Meanwhile my Ranger is the first vehicle I've owned out of 4 "American" trucks that was actually made in the USA. All the others were either "Fabrique en Canada" or "Heche en Mexico".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement