How much do lifts affect gas milage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > General 4X4 and Off-Road

General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2003, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default How much do lifts affect gas milage?

In general how much would a 3" lift affect gas milage?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Rembrant has a spectacular aura aboutRembrant has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How much do lifts affect gas milage?

A lift doesn't directly affect MPG, but you'll probably be adding bigger tires too? I assume thats what the lift is for?
A lift will make your already UN-aerodynamic vehicle, even more Un-aerodynamic, ya know what I mean? It takes more power to push a taller brick through the wind, than a shorter brick.

As for how many MPG worse, or a percentage worse, forget it....but it certainly won't help matters any.

I used to hit the high 20's in MPG with my truck, but after the 2" lift, and 33" tires, the best I can get is 19 MPG, but thats much more due to the tires than the actual lift.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
A lift doesn't directly affect MPG

[/ QUOTE ]
wellllll put 15" lift on your Yota and keep the current tires and see what kinda highway mileage you get [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

every little bit helps when you're going fast, that's why automakers spend so much time in the wind tunnel with their vehicle designs. A mud terrain will give you a hit, and so will a wider tire, but at high speeds the lift (suspension/body and tire lift) kill you. Around town, Rembrandt is right, taller tires that aren't compensated for by regearing will be the mileage killer.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:00 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Rembrant has a spectacular aura aboutRembrant has a spectacular aura about

He he he...ya know, I thought that didn't sound right when I typed it...DOH! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

A body lift will rob you of gas mileage but a suspension lift probably won't change it much. I switched from 2.73s to 3.42s and added 4" of lift which increased my gas mileage by nearly 5mpg. I have a hard time believing the lift hurt me much as far as gas mileage.

Tires and a poor gear ratio will affect it much more than a suspension lift. Some tires have a lot of rolling resistance, especially MTs. If the tires heat up pretty hot or make a lot of noise you know you're wasting energy. A wide tire has more frictional frontal area so you're going to be losing horsepower to them. A poor gear ratio will probably cause you to have your foot into it more when accelerating. If the gear ratio is really bad you'll have your foot in it when trying to maintain speed.

I lost 3mpg when I did a body lift on my 89 Sonoma. When I put the visor on it I lost around 2.5mpg. When the big (31x10.50) tires on it I lost another 4mpg. The end result I ended up with was a solid 24mpg truck turned into a 13-16mpg truck depending on weather conditions.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:49 AM
Journeyman

jeepride is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 258 YJ with a 2.5 trailmaster lift and fuel mileage dropped about 4mpg. I do not use it as a daily driver. Only on sunny and snowy days. It see's ran only on days that I am 4wheelin [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

You didn't [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] fill out your profile so we can't see what vehicle you have.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast

JimC is an unknown quantity at this point

I am glad to hear some numbers as to increased mpg by changing gears. I have an 81 Jimmy with a 305 and those GM stinkers put 2.73's in front and rear. The vehicle weighs 4000+. Who in their right mind would have done that? Stock tires were 235's and I have gone to 31's, plan on gearing to 3.73's.

Working with the motor, I have taken the mpg from 8.5 to about 12.5. With gears maybe I can get to 17+. Oh well, wishfull thinking.

Jim
Old 08-15-2003, 06:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sparty is an unknown quantity at this point

if i were you i would prolly go to 4.10's
Old 08-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

JimC is an unknown quantity at this point

That is something I had not thought of. I am open to any suggestion that makes sense. My primary goals for this foolish machine are: 1. fuel economy
2. Low end torque

I could care less how fast I can go. Would that get it for me?

Jim
Old 08-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

BigNorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Just build it and drive it! Have fun! That's what this is about. If you want an economobile get a commuter car. Motorcycles are good for fuel economy too. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement