Broken Frame Rail- Any ideas what to do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > General 4X4 and Off-Road

General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Mechanix

Default Broken Frame Rail- Any ideas what to do?

Ok this isn't really a huge problem but I want to know what I could do about this. I have an 88' Bronco II and the left front frame rail has about 4-5 inches gone off the end. It looks like whoever had it before me probably bent it and took a torch and cut it off. Then they did the samething to a boneyard frame and bolted the two pieces with a plate and 4 bolts. Could I get this piece reinforced and welded up good or do I need to replace the frame. If I turn it into a trail vehicle I will probably put a winch up front so it would have to be strong. Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.
Also wondering about cutting the top off but I'll post that in the vehicle forum first. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2003, 04:14 AM
Fluke

Default Re: Broken Frame Rail- Any ideas what to do?

If everthing is straight I would unbolt the peice of frame and clean them up to bare metal put it all back together and weld it up. That is if you have access to a welder and its big enough to do the job. If your still worried about it you can weld peices on the top and bottem of the "C" to make it even stronger. And if you have enough room you could even box the frame in. The most important thing with any frame fix is to not get the frame too hot, but hot enough to get good penatration. You said it looks like they used a torch to remove the peice of frame, thats not the best way to cut a frame you want to reuse, when you heat them up you take the strength out of them. I think youll be ok, if it were mine I would try it and see how it turns out. Changing a frame is a pain in the arse!!! If your going to put a winch on while you have the welder out I would weld a support between the front of the frame rails to help keep it from buckling or get a front mount receiver. I did this on my truck just as a precaution. Just my two cents!!!

[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

krabysniper is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can weld it up and I agree I would box it for strength if you intend to put a winch on it, otherwise don't sweat it. It is only the front four or five inches.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:42 PM
Veteran

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there Mechanix.... it was mentioned that

"If everything is straight I would unbolt the peice of frame and clean them up to bare metal put it all back together and weld it up. That is if you have access to a welder and its big enough to do the job."
Correct...

" If your still worried about it you can weld pieces on the top and bottom of the "C" to make it even stronger. "

The best way is to reinforce the frame rail is from the inside with a piece of box tubing or channel tubing drilled and pinned ~ 3/8" or so to align and then weld along the outer edges of the inside reinforcement box. This helps in the overall strength and helps to prevent overheating of the orig frame rail. I would think that 2 pins at either end drilled and filled (welded) should do it.

"And if you have enough room you could even box the frame in. The most important thing with any frame fix is to not get the frame too hot, but hot enough to get good penetration. "
See above

"You said it looks like they used a torch to remove the piece of frame, that's not the best way to cut a frame you want to re-use, when you heat them up you take the strength out of them."
Consider recutting the frame in a spot 1-2" back from the orig torch cut... use a cut-off tool. Much cooler temps and cleaner cut.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-11-2003, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would also box it like Krabysniper said if you intend to use it as a recovery point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.