NP 203 chain question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > General 4X4 and Off-Road

General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2002, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default NP 203 chain question

Hi everyone, first post here. I saw the post that said "no vehicle specific questions", but NP 203's are in a few different trucks so i figured this was the spot anyway.

My problem: A noise. Kind of a clunking. Only under load, in forward or reverse, in high or low range, t-case locked or not locked, goes with the vehicle speed not the rpm's. It goes away when i unlock the front hubs (and run it in lock).

My vehicle: a 78 chevy, with a 6" lift, TH350 trans, NP203 transfer case.

I blew up the transfer case a couple months ago, replaced it with another np 203 last weekend. That's when the noise started. It's definitely coming from the front driveline, because it only happens when the front driveline is under load. I thought it might be the front driveshaft, because it looked like the angle was just about maxed and the metal "stops" on the stock (but replaced in the spring) CV joint looked like they were hitting. So i ground them off. It didn't fix it. So i'm thinking it's the chain. And i think it's going to be a PITA to fix.

So, what do you guys think? Does it sound like the chain? Do i need to replace it, or can i use that "chain saver" thing that mile marker makes? And how hard is it to change the chain, and how do i do it? My haynes manual seems to be worthless for this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2002, 02:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: NP 203 chain question

dose any one know anything about ball joint for a ford f250
like what are the best and how much?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-2002, 04:30 AM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno sleeper, it sounds like you pretty much have it narrowed down, but i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of rebuilding or just finding another t-case to swap in.

soldier, you should ask this over on the Ford forum to get more replies, but your best bet is to try O'Reilly's or another store that carries MOOG parts. In their catalog, they should have a heavy duty part # in addition to the regular one, and those HD joints would be worth the extra money. What year F250 is it?
Old 10-13-2002, 12:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

soldier, hijacking posts for totally unrelated issues is considered bad forum etiquette. Go post this in the applicable Ford forum, you'll get a much better response.

HINT: Start your own post for it as well.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Journeyman

samantha is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a loud poping sound under load in my 78 blazer.
Come to find out it was the chain stretched. The chain
saver looks like a good idea. It only took a few hundred thousand miles to stretch it the first time.
My 2 cents.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's a good way to describe what mine is doing, a loud popping under load. did you use a chain saver, or replace the chain? how hard was it?
Old 10-15-2002, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it 86', could you give me the web address of those O'Reilly's,

thancks
ps were can i find a t-case
Old 10-15-2002, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

srry but thanck for the hint
ps: what are we talking about any way [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Journeyman

samantha is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced the t-case.After taking the old one apart
it looked like it would'nt be to hard.But taking it out ,tearing it down, and put it back is very difficult.
That thing weights 10,000,000,000,000 lbs.(close estimate).
That chain saver looks like the way to go to me.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just fixed it today. I changed the chain. I did it without pulling the transfer case. It was a PITA, but it was much easier than pulling the transfer case. Of course, the fact that you can almost sit up underneath my truck helped a lot. Chain was about $110 shipped. Changing that chain isn't a job for a novice, but if you're not a dumbass and have some patience and a decent set of tools it's not that hard.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement