How Did You Get Started, And What Are Your Plans? - Page 11 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
General 4X4 and Off-Road Ask questions or share info that applies across makes or models, things of general off-road interest. *Make-specific, please look below for appropriate forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 PM

i guess it started when i bought my 1st truck, was an 2wd s10. i would always go to a national forest about an hour from where i lived, to use the shooting range. but one day decided to check out the trails since i had a truck and not a car. got stuck more than once...well, i had a great day. when it was time to get a new vehicle i decided to look for a 4x4, and ended up buying a jeep cherokee 4x4 for $400. loved that jeep and still miss it. i never really took it offroad, but it had died on me after a year of use....bought another cheap 2wd truck,but after i sold that one, decided to buy a 4x4 that i would keep for a while, so i got a loan for a 2001 jeep grand cherokee. so far it is the longest i've held onto a vehicle. i've had it for 18 months now, still paying it off, and i go wheeling now, more than once a month. hope to keep it forever.

my plans are to put a mild 3" lift, some lights, maybe a roof rack. it is my daily driver. so far i have added a brush guard w/ custom d-rings, rear tow hook and cb radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Need Help with "Whats Next"

I will never forget when my dad had a CJ7 (a long long time ago) and he took me with his buddies from the police department on a camping trip in the foothills of the Rockies. 2 days of wheelin to get to the camp. Ever since I have longed to get a Jeep. I have finally joined the jeep owner ranks.

I just bought Hi Ho Silver - a fairly stock 2001 Wrangler TJ, with the famous straight 6 stock with K&N Cold Air Intake and custom Magnaflow exhaust. I bought it with the lift already complete. It has a professionally installed 5.5" Rubicon Extreme Duty Long Arm Lift, with the Rubicon quick sway-bar disconnects, OME shocks. etc. It also has many extras like the Warn Rock Crawler bumpers, Warn winch, Swing Away Tire Carrier with Gas/Water cans and mounted Hi-lift, and a decked out Interior.

What's Next --??????? I have been wheelin in the Wharton State Forest, NJ a couple of times and plan to go to Rausch Creek soon. But I am not sure what to do next. Should I add Dana44's or wait till mine break, how about air lockers? I heard suspension seats are also a must. Any advice would be helpful.

2001 Wrangler TJ - 4.0L, Rubicon Extreme 5.5" Long-arm Lift, 35" Muds, A&E CAI, Winch - more info in profile.
post #103 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat67 View Post
I grew up in So Cal and was around the desert until I left. My mom's friends had dune buggies, 3 wheelers, quads, 4X trucks and the like. My first time out with my mom on a 3 wheeler we hit a rut and i put my two front teeth through my upper lip. I still remember that and still love going out to the desert. When I finaaly got my liscence I inherited my mom's 82 diesel Isuzu P'UP. Not much later it got a body lift, cranked torsion bars , and 31" BFG's. I wheeled this thing through 3 engines and many gallons of fuel out at glamis and around El Centro. It is now awaiting the Caddy 500 swap and hopefully a set of Rockwell 2.5 ton axles. Think i might even go with Michellin XML's for the tires.
Well, the P'up still exists in the same form it did when I posted this, the Caddy motor was sold to Marv Springer then to Kert Cohoon at DIY4X, and I never got those Rockwells. I had the XMLs, but could not fit them in the truck when I moved cross country.

And I learned to proof read.

Drey - "might as well try...with enough duct tape anything is possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM

My start,plans.

Back in 1999,bought a 72CJ5 intending on stock restoration.But I used it.Lockers were added and it was best among my friends rides.Untill that off-road clubs fun bog.Joined the club,did a springover,and added 33s.Now I've got a'90XJ on those 33s with a 5in. lift.Plan to have a seprate mudder and a trail machine.Wish me good luck in the time and money dept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode