Front End Vibration 1997 Ford Ranger - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford Ranger, Bronco II, Explorer

Ford Ranger, Bronco II, Explorer Discussion of all Ford mini and mid-sized 4x4 vehicles to include the Ranger pickup, Bronco II and Explorer SUV's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Addict

wsmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front End Vibration 1997 Ford Ranger

Our niece came over today and asked me to look at her Ford Ranger Pickup. She said she was getting a violent vibration when braking. sounded like the old dreaded death wobble to me. Took the truck out for a test run, tried both easy and hard baking, no death wobble, although the truck did pull to the right. She then said it would also happen if you drove at a steady speed. Tried that also at different speeds no wobble. After more talking she finally stated oh, it only happens when it's cold out in the morning and I first drive it. She stated if it is warm out it doesn't, also after she drives it to work 10-15 miles, parks it and goes out later and drives it, the vibration is gone.

Looking for some help from any Ford experts. Going to have to take one of my days off and go over to her house on a cool morning and she if I can get it to fail.

Thanks,
Bill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Jason Lovell is on a distinguished road
Default bad shimmy cold

the temp thing makes me think rack and pinnion/ power steering but i would start with changing the brake pads up front and check the back drums at same time. while you are down there you should take a close look at the rotors. Mine didn't look that bad but I micrometered them and they were worn past a resurface so i bought new rotors. at about $40 ea. for slightly better ones than ford it was a drastic difference.fords are notoriously bad braked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2903.JPG (96.2 KB, 9 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM

dock83 is on a distinguished road

soudns like a stickey caliper take it off and clean the sliders (bolts) on the 97.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 AM

nbaker is on a distinguished road

this thread just relieve me from worries because i really thought i am going to have my ford suspension be change. Good thing it does not have to be change from how i understand the replies from this thread.

Last edited by nbaker; 10-29-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement