no fire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Ranger, Bronco II, Explorer Discussion of all Ford mini and mid-sized 4x4 vehicles to include the Ranger pickup, Bronco II and Explorer SUV's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 06:46 PM
patrick88240

no fire

hello i have a 86 ford bronco II 2.9l manual tranny, it sat 10 years before i bought it, the story i got was the fuel pump went out and the owner just parked it, i swapped out both pumps cleaned out tank and ran clean gas out the fuel rail, it wouldnt start, i went to the chiltons followed the steps found the ignition control module was bad i swapped it out still no spark, everything else tested good, so im assuming the ecu is bad? is there any way to test the ecu? or where i can buy one for a reasonable price any help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM

I am having the same problem with the same year, make and model.
I have replaced the ECM (ECU, Computer, or whatever else it is referred to as).
Completely rewired the engine compartment so it no longer crosses under the upper intake, installed a remote TFI on a heat sink from a 94 Taurus, (I really do recommend this mod).
New battery
New TFI
New cap & rotor (brass contacts from NAPA)
New plugs
New coil
Replaced all injectors
Cleaned the fuel tank and replaced both pumps
Checked compression (242,000 miles--135# to 145#)
I have just about run outta things to try. But have a lotta money in it now, so will keep at it.
I am going to recommend a web site I frequent that has a lot of info about Rangers/Bronco II's. The Ranger Station - Your Ultimate Ranger Resource
Keep us posted as to what you find.
You might also want to see about pulling the codes, if any come up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Fuel cut off switch

Did you test the fuel cut off switch that one can be a trickey little bas**** I know I had trouble with mine and by passed it lots of spark now. usually located on the firewall or floor close too the firewall on the passengers side. Pluu back the carpet and it should be there.Check to see if the butten on it is depressed if not push it in or just by pass it. The rattle you here in it is normal. This switch is used to cut off power to the fuel punp in the instance of a crash but some times a good bump will set it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode