1998 ford explorer sport 4wd issue - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford Ranger, Bronco II, Explorer

Ford Ranger, Bronco II, Explorer Discussion of all Ford mini and mid-sized 4x4 vehicles to include the Ranger pickup, Bronco II and Explorer SUV's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 06:49 PM
wangmauler

Default 1998 ford explorer sport 4wd issue

Hey all, I'm fairly new to these forums, I'm not to keen on 4wd systems. I own a 1998 ford explorer sport, and I do quite a bit of off-roading with it. I have an issue that is new with this beast.

It has a 3 selector knob on the dashboard, -auto-4x4low-4x4high-

It seems auto works fine, and high works fine(4x4high light comes on instrument pannel, and I can feel it kick in), but when I engage it from auto, to 4x4 low, nothing happens, and I don't feel the truck do anyhting. If I go from 4x4high to 4x4low, nothing happens (stays in 4x4high), untill I go back to auto.

Any ideas on how I can try to attack this issue?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast

JSSuper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, Sounds like you are making a common mistake with the Ford system.

You have to have the transmission in 'N' and your foot firmly pressed on the brake. Then Switch to Low and You'll then get a click and possibly a thud or ggrrrrthunk.... LOW RANGE!

To return to HI or Auto, you must repeat, 'N'-brake then rotate back to HI and you'll probably get a click from the dash and hear a clank as it shifts back to Hi/Auto.

I'm currently without an "off-roader"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement