'88 B II Fuel Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford Ranger, Bronco II, Explorer

Ford Ranger, Bronco II, Explorer Discussion of all Ford mini and mid-sized 4x4 vehicles to include the Ranger pickup, Bronco II and Explorer SUV's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default \'88 B II Fuel Problems

Hey ya'll. I learned that from living in Georgia. I'm usually on the short wheel base Jeep area. My older daughter has the Bronco and really likes it. It slowly started running rough, but passed emissions here in S. Jersey.(?) Sooo I thought I might change the fuel filter. Bought one for an '88. Can type, 2 nipples with clamps. Nowhere on the vehicle. Went to a different parts store and asked for the same thin.....no dice. I then asked for one for an '87, cartridge type like my Haynes manual said. Aha, looked like it would fit. Opened up the canister, gas kept draining out, then found out that the hole in the top of the filter was too big(too much play onto the tube sticking down, not a seal at all) and once more there wasn't an old filter in the canister. The icing on the cake was removing the pieces of RTV that some joker used to seal up the O ring. There was a number on the outside of the canister- E7TA-9K044-AA 2167. Also this year model appears to have 2 fuel pumps, a low pressure one inside the tank and a high pressere one mounted inside the frame rail forward of the filter and transfer case. Could it be possible that this pump is not running? Would the engine still run, but rough, without this pump? Thanks to any and all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

Default Re: \'88 B II Fuel Problems

Well here's an update for anybody that gives a hoot. Stopped at the local home town Ford dealer and told him I wanted a fuel filter to fit the part number I had. The plot thickens.....after looking it up on his computer he said that the part number I gave him didn't and does not contain a filter. He thought that it was a valve of some sort? So maybe it is some kind of roll over fuel siphon break or sumthin? I bought a couple cans of Sea Foam that I'll run through it AFTER I find the fuel filter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

O.K. sports fans, I found the fuel filter. It's located next to the starter in the left frame rail. The NAPA fuel filter number is 23097. Comes with little plastic clippy things. Fuel line retainers. I started the engine up and measured the fuel pressure at the schrader(tire) valve on the fuel rail-15 psi. I think that's a little low for a fuel injected motor? Any thoughts? I took the old filter out, right arm drenched, installed the new one. Started engine, measured pressure-22 psi. Better but the haynes book says all fuel injected engines shoud be 40 psi. Well thanks for listening, I'll check the high pressure pump next.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

The saga continues. Mysteriously the fuel pressure has risen to 30 lbs. I drive on. Unbolted the high(non tank mounted) pressure pump mounting bracket from the frame rail. This turns out to be wiggle room only cause it looks like if I want to take the pump out all the way I'm gonna have to take the front drive shaft out. Maybe I can get by with just undoing the u joint at the diff, but that looks like all I'll get is about a half an inch more clearance Clarence. I did get enough room to disconnect the pump's plug. Tried to get 12 v at the plug with key on - nothing. Tried to start with plug unplugged - no start, pressure almost to zero. Pump is working but only with key in the start position and, now, obviously when the engine is running. I bet it has a relay that acts as a latch, staying energized as long as the engine is beibg started or running. O.K. Fuel pressure regulator. Mounted on fuel rail. Manifold vacuum operated. I guess that when you tromp the pedal vacuum drops and opens up the reg. for a bit more fuel. Pressure too? Pulled the vacuum line off. HISS. Hey, lets put my vacuum gauge on that hissing hole. 16 inches, fairly steady. Will reflect on that in a sec. I put my hand vacuum pump on the reg. Pumped her up while watching the fuel pressure gauge. No movement. Dumped the pressure(negative) from the hand pump to simulate a drop in manifold vacuum - nothing. Rinse. Repeat. Nothing. Napa on line: $42.00 for a regulator. We'll throw that at it for only 42 bucks since I didn't see any results. I'll order/pickup Monday. You know for an extra 10 bucks Ford could have put schrader valves at different points along the fuel system to get pressures. Instead they spent their money on these goofy fuel fittings......kinda like torx head bolts.....WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

O.K. Here we go. Installed new fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure came up to 33 psi and it fluctuated with throttle blips. Drives a little better but not like it should. For an extra few psi, maybe, I'm not going to change the high pressure pump----for a 100 bucks. Soooo ???? I feel I made progress to where it should be, but it still isn't right. May never be without tearing into the engine.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
joe_automation

If you are still having Bronco II fuel problems, drop me a note. I've been through all of this and can probably shed some light.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement