351 Rear Main Seal Leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford Lounge

Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2003, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 351 Rear Main Seal Leak

I just got a 78 Bronco for 300 bucks, but after I got it home I found out that the rear Main Seal is leaking...my question is: Can you change these seals "WITHOUT" pulling the engine out?? Also the dip stick tube is drenched????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 351 Rear Main Seal Leak

you could pull back the tranny....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Old Hand

MY2ND78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there is enough room in a 78/79 to drop the pan without pulling the engine or tranny. It's a two piece seal so you'll have to drop the #5 main bearing cap. Good time to check bearing wear. If the dipstick tube is soaked with oil, but the rest of the engine isn't, you might have high crankcase pressure (bad rings). Check your PCV valve first, then pull the valve covers and check for a sludgy waxy buildup that might be clogging the oil return holes.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for that info. I'm glad to know that I DON'T have to "pull back the tranny"!!!! LOL
Old 08-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

BigNorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be glad you have a 78, After having a solid front axle the next cool thing on the list is that you can actually drop the pan unlike any of us with 80 on up. I'm glad you can do this without having to pull the motor. Good luck! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2003, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply all!! I think All in All I got a fair deal for $300.00 and am VERY glad to find out it's a two piece rear main seal. This will give me a chance to replace the Oil Pan and pump while I'm at it!!!!! It's a stock '78 Custom with 165,000 miles in fairly good shape with a very strong 351M and C-6 Trans, (wish I had a 4 speed)!!! If nothing else it's a good parts truck!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea man really easy rear main to change.
i did it not 3 months ago. drop the pan, and watch the dipstick.. i couldnt get mine out at the pan.. so the tube and pan came out as one... um what was next? yea the number 5 journal i think its name is.. remove it. use a small screw.. thred it into the end of the old seal and pull/slide it out. gently.
then reinsert the new one.. more gently, not with a screw of course.. RTV the journal. retourque RTV the oil pan gasket.. and throw it back up. watch the rear part of the oil pan as its hard to seat it well.. it took me two trys... now thats also with 4" of lift, doubt your pan will remove as easily. but i didnt even jack it up or anything.
good luck. if i can be of anymore help.. ask away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.