F250 Axle Info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 97-current F-Series Trucks, Expedition, Excursion

Ford 97-current F-Series Trucks, Expedition, Excursion Discussion of all 1997 to current F-Series Trucks, Excursions and Expeditions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2001, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default F250 Axle Info

I'm about to do an axle swap on my S-10 Blazer and I found a good deal on some axles. They are from a '79 F250.
---What is the width from wheel mounting surface to
wheel mounting surface?
---What are possible gear ratios?
---And is the front a disc brake?

The axles are 4 hours away from me so I can't get serial numbers from them. The guy selling them knows nothing about them either.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Jason Yocum

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2001, 06:18 PM
Old Hand

MY2ND78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: F250 Axle Info

Don't know about the width, but the front is disc brake and the most common gear ratio's were 3.55 and 4.10 or was it 3.54 and 4.09....not that it matters, they're too close to make a difference.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-25-2001, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jason,

Not sure of the width... I do know if its a F-250 HD then the axle is a DANA 60 Reverse Rotation front. It has dual piston calibers on the disc brakes. Most common stock ratios are 3.55 and 4.10. The pumpkin is on the DRIVERS Side, so not sure how that will fit into you Blazer. I have one up at my dads its a D-60 but he is 3 hours away..

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
Old 09-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

On the subject of rear axles... I want to put a 10.25" full floater in my truck but it has to have the speed sensor on the diff to work. What are the chances of finding one with disc brakes? Also, how common are 4.10's in them and traction devices too (not a big deal)? I'm not sure if I want to stick with 5 lug wheels and put on some adapters (probably if I can find some fairly cheap) or go with 8 lug wheels, but if I go with the wheels I'm going to need to swap the 3/4 ton 8 lug front stuff onto the dana 44 solid that will be in place by then. Which 8 lug pattern should I look for if I want to match it with a dana 44HD front end? (dana 50 IFS ain't an option!). Thanks, and lemme know if I'm not making sense...I'll clear it up if I can.

BTW, anybody know of wheel adapter manufacturers? I'm not too worried about the extra stress on a 1 ton rear full floater hub, so I wouldn't be opposed to using them if that would make things easier (undoubtedly it would).

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
Old 09-26-2001, 02:11 AM
Old Hand

If I'm not mistaken, Ford went to the 10.25 from the D60 because of the ABS sensor and ring (no provisions for it on the D60). They put factory disc brakes on in the late 90's but I don't know if it was before or after they went to the metric lugs. The most common ratio was 3.50, but with enough digging you should find one with 4.10's.
I don't know if they made the D44HD after 79 (maybe for other makes). Any pre-99 8 lug wheel will work (Ford, Chevy or Dodge).

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
Old 09-26-2001, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Steve_Uzi, thanks for the info. I found out it was a four speed and he had 35" tires on it, so I think they should be 4.10's. Maybe higher Oh and as for the differential on the driver's side, that's what i need. The S-10 has driver's side driveshaft output. Thanks again.

Jason

Old 09-26-2001, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't recomend wheel adapters. I recently used a pair for a rear axle swap and ended up losing the whole tire on the freeway. The directions say to retorque the adapter lug nuts every 2000 miles. That mean I have to take off all the tires to get to the adapter. And especially after my rear tire flew off at 65 MPH, broke a fender flare and rolled for half a mile into oncoming lanes, I don't recomend using them. But if you do here's some advice. Only use ones made from 6061-T6 Aluminum. This is the higest quality aluminum used on aircrafts. And it will cost you at least $65 a piece. That's what I paid for 5 lugs. Good luck.

Jason

Old 09-26-2001, 05:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about adapters last night and I talked myself out of them... just for the very reason you mentioned. But that means I have to figure out how to get 8 lugs up front... I don't want two different lug patterns, it just becomes too much of hassle and I won't be able to rotate the tires. Will a dana 44HD have leaf spring mounts or coils? I'm going to put in a solid 44 axle with coils anyway, so I might just have to find both a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton front axle and put the 3/4 ton outers on the 1/2 ton... all KINDS of swapping! But hopefully I can find that stuff pretty cheap... old fords are very prevalent around here so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Hmm, now I just have to make the money to buy all this stuff 8-)

And who sells some fairly inexpensive but decent looking aluminum 8 lug wheels? By the time I have bought the axles and tires I'll probably be looking at white wagon wheels but in case I can still afford some nice ones then I'd like to know.

thanks

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
Old 09-26-2001, 09:46 PM
Old Hand

The D44HD is leaf sprung. Get a D44 and do the knuckle swap.

Old 09-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Muddy,

Your pretty familiar with the three wheel drive thing aren't you?

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement