Transmission Leaking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 97-current F-Series Trucks, Expedition, Excursion

Ford 97-current F-Series Trucks, Expedition, Excursion Discussion of all 1997 to current F-Series Trucks, Excursions and Expeditions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2001, 06:52 PM
SkyjackerF150

Default Transmission Leaking

Hey guys, i got got back from a trip out to the mud pits and I lost all my tranny fluid (now i mean like 12 quarts in a few hours) The mechanics at the local shop says it is a rear main seal leak but they were wrong. I know it isnt engine oil but I dont have any manuals on my tranny (it is the E40D) I have heard this tranny sucks, but mine is still turning my wheels so I just need to know if it is just a seal I was fix it. It is right in between the torque converter and the engine block? It is not the rear main so i have no clue what it could be but i do know it is tranny leak. Please help Thanks guys

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2001, 08:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transmission Leaking

**I just reread it & saw "between the torque converter and the engine block".**

If it's on the FRONT of the TC, it sounds like the TC is cracked. If it's just coming off the edge, I agree with BRONCOMANIA. After you've fixed it, replace the filter & fluid (including draining the TC).

...and install a drain plug kit.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Build it; Don't buy it...</font color=red>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-2001, 08:03 PM
Veteran

BRONCOMANIA is an unknown quantity at this point

Must be the seal between the converter and the front of the trans case, its just rolling down the bellhousing to the inspection plate.

Old 05-24-2001, 09:08 AM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point

I lost about a quart towing a FRIEND off the highway and mine looks to be coming from the front seal. 112k plus, it is about time.

Havack!

This is FORD country. On a quite night yu can hear a Chevy rust.
Old 05-24-2001, 02:11 PM
SkyjackerF150

Yah I have about 130,000 on my rig and it is leakin bad now. I hope its not to complicated to replace the front seal.

Old 05-24-2001, 09:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

See? You shouldn't do crazy stuff like that with such a delicate vehicle![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I once loaned a guy a compression tester (which he never used) and he stole a can of Liquid Wrench from me...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Old 05-28-2001, 09:49 PM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point

I once borrowed a compression tester from a guy but he didn't give me all the stuff to use it. If money(LWrench) is left at a table(my house) and the waiter(me) puts it in his pocket did he steal it?

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Old 05-28-2001, 10:22 PM
Mud in my Veins

It depends on the restaurant: if it was at the Spaghetti Warehouse where you get some service for your money (the side of Hwy. 78 at midnight), it's his money (shackle); if it's Burger King where you have to fix your own drink (your house), he (you) stole it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But I may be moving to your neighborhood soon, so I'll come beat it outta ya.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hey - When are we gonna get MY truck stuck? ...off-road, I mean!

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.