Off Roading Forums banner

how to install coil springs on on a 4x4 ford f150?

5K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  muddybronco 
G
#1 ·
COuld someone give some tech tips on putting on coil springs for a f150 4x4. I'm installing the lift myself and the rest is pretty simple but where do I start in taking those off. ANybody got any experience in installation of them.

G
#2 ·
Once you get started I think you will find the springs to be one of the easier things to change. As to the spring-there is a small u-clamp at the top of the spring that retains it to the spring bucket-very simple to remove. The bottom is retained by a large nut on top of a stud that goes through the radius arm and axle halve. Once the nut is off there is this little retainer plate to slide off the stud and then the spring. When you do this you may want to un-bolt the little u-clamp at top first then jack it up slowly until the axle hangs enough to free it-then you just put stands under the frame and work on the lower nut-easy. After the new axle pivot brackets are in place you can slip the new springs in. You'll want to make sure you have at least a grinder or air chisel for the rivots on all the brackets-a torch would be better though. We're here for ya man. Laters.

NUFF SAID

G
#4 ·
Re: coil springs

Also on the driver side lower radius arm bolt that holds the bottom of the radius arm to the I beam, there is that bolt on the bottom and there is the big bolt on the top that hold the spring in place. When loosening the bottom bolt try not to break the weld inside. I put to much torque on this bolt and the nut welded to the inside of the ibeam came loose, so I have to take the axle off to get a new nut and tighten it down. It was just a pain in the ass. The passenger side one came off fine with tons of torque but the passenger side gave out on mine. Could be different on yours though
never know. Liquid Wrench does help a lot though. I let that stuff sit for one day and holy cow those bolts came loose so much easier. On the Axle Drop Brackets, be careful if you use a torch, as oil can catch on fire. Try to find a small grinder so you can get to the studs easiler or the right adapter for the air chisel with the curve at the end to get under the rivets and pop them out. Good luck. It is actually kinda of fun. I just did my lift this christmas break and it was very cool. I want a bigger truck now

#5 ·
Re: Broken weld

A good welder should be able to tack that nut back down if you pressure-wash the inside of the axle housing and steer hard to the side with the broken weld (driver's - left) so he can get to it. There's nothing in there that will be damaged by weld spatter except the axle seals on the knuckle and diff, but you can shield them with aluminum foil. Just don't let him weld the nut to the bolt!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

#6 ·
Re: Broken weld

If you aren't replacing the radius arms then you don't even have to worry about that. If you didn't order new arms then you are probably confused by the above advice because it isn't in any of the instructions :)

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.