driveline / hub issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 97-current F-Series Trucks, Expedition, Excursion Discussion of all 1997 to current F-Series Trucks, Excursions and Expeditions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Addict

driveline / hub issues

I have searched but haven't found any info that is what I am experiencing. I recently purchased an 02 F350 4x4 diesel auto.

Being in Alaska, I use my 4wd a lot. I have manual hubs. Recently I started hearing a grinding noise come from my driverside front hub. When I switch it out of 4wd, with the hubs still locked, the noise stops.

I jacked up my front end and wiggled the wheels - wheel bearings are good. There is a little play when I spin my tire and when the u-joints move. Not sure how much play is supposed to be in there but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Last night I unlocked my hubs and switched it into 4wd - I thought I would still be able to break the rearend loose on slick snow but it acted like I was in 4wd - even with my hubs unlocked - good traction and when I turned it felt like I was in 4wd. Could this be a bad hub causing the noise and still keeping my truck in 4wd with the hubs unlocked?

I'm a Toyota guy and new to Fords - Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1998 4Runner SR5: OME 2" Suspension, ARB Bumper
1989 4Runner SR5: 3.4L, 2" 4Crawler body lift, Rancho Soft Rides, Rockstomper Ubolt Flip, SAW T-bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Addict

it should be easy to verify that your hubs are working or not. jack the wheel off the ground, rotate the wheel and see if the axle moves or not. there should be no "play" in a u joint or c/v joint, but a LITTLE rotational play in the hub might be ok. if you are a diy guy, get a chiltons or haynes book for your truck and get in there. manual hubs are not that complicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode