Off Roading Forums banner

'97-4.2 gasket problems, and replacement??

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Rembrant 
#1 ·
\'97-4.2 gasket problems, and replacement??

Hello Folks,
Just wondering what all the fuss is about the bad gaskets in the '97 4.2 V6 engine? Next weekend, I'm gonna tear down my friends '97 f150 V6 and install all new top end gaskets, including the head gaskets of course. His truck has mysteriously lost antifreeze, and it hasn't dripped
. After a week or two of searching the Ford forums on the net, he found hundreds of horror stories on these particular engines with their gasket failures? Is this a common thing? Anybody familiar with these?. Is there anything I should be careful of, or look out for when tearing down the top end of this engine? Its only got 80K on it. The oil doesn't appear to have any antifreeze in it, it still looks fine. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cory

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: \'97-4.2 gasket problems, and replacement??

Until a little over a year ago, i worked in a machine shop reconditioning cyl heads for area dealers including two ford dealerships, dont recall having a major issue with the 4.2L motor but its smaller twin, the 3.8L V-6 ( same engine just different displacement & intake design used in the cars and minivans) had a recall on head gasket failures so maybe thats his problem. We had them coming in left and right. They were blowing the gasket out between one of the end water passages and into a cylinder so most likely his coolants going out the tailpipe. pull the plugs and check for coolant in the cylinders.

If this is the case, have the heads resurfaced and make sure you use new torque-to-yield head bolts...

#3 ·

Thanks man,
I was gonna suggest that he get the heads resurfaced, but I've heard from other guys that using new head bolts is overrated? Any thoughts on that
? I've changed lots of head gaskets, had a few heads re-surfaced, but always used the same bolts that were in them, without any obvious problems. I used to work on VW diesels quite a bit, and I was told by some to put new head bolts in, but never did. maybe I'm just ignorant I guess...LOL. I guess I should ask about the resurfacing also, if there is no pitting, and the heads aren't outa whack, can I just put them back on, or should we just get them planed anyway? The only reason I ask is that we were gonna do this on Sat & Sun so the truck would be back in business on Monday.....but if need be, then we could put it back together Mon night, after I take the heads in. I guess we'll see. thanks.

Cory

#4 ·

Yeah i can agree on that to a point (reusing torque-to-yield bolts) as long as they had not been off before, BUT on gasket failure prone engines such as those and the 4 runners 3VZEs, S10s 2.0 &2.2Ls etc, i just dont think its worth the gamble IMO.

I would try to at least put a straight edge on them, if within 004" longitudinal and dont have any impressions in the fire-ring area, you should be ok. Look on the ends of the surface between the elongated coolant passage and outermost corners of the end combustion chambers is where they are common for blowing on those particular heads...

#5 ·

Thanks for the advice man,
I'll check the heads corner to corner with a straight edge, and hope for 4 thou, and I'll examine them very, very closely for the notorious pitting. I just spoke to him today, and he said the rear corner of one of the heads is "wet"...but he's not sure what?...and I won't know til I see it. But thanks, I'll let ya know how it goes, and in the meantime if you happen to think of any other helpful info, let me know.

Cory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.