Manual Transmission for a 460? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 97-current F-Series Trucks, Expedition, Excursion

Ford 97-current F-Series Trucks, Expedition, Excursion Discussion of all 1997 to current F-Series Trucks, Excursions and Expeditions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2001, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Manual Transmission for a 460?

I am looking for details for bolting a manual transmission behind a 460. My buddy has a 500+HP 460 in his 4x4 and he just broke the input shaft to his C6. He would like to install a manual transmission preferably something with and overdrive. The trans needs to bolt to a 460 upfront and a NP205 outback. We were wondering if anybody on this board has bolted one the ZF five or six speed into this application? Any help would be aprreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2001, 12:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Manual Transmission for a 460?

Advance Adapters lists engines grouped by bolt pattern in their catalog and Drivetrain.com sells every kind of reman tranny & t-case, but neither of them is cheap. It's good reference material though...

stevebyars@onebox.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point

You will HAVE to run a ZF and not the Mazda, due to the bolt paterns. They ZF came in a SB bolt pattern but it also came in a BB bolt pattern. Normal cost will be from $1250 to $1850 for just the tranny. Seeing how he had the C-6 and not an E4od he will be fine for most of the wiring. You need to go to a junk yard and pull out the floor pan for the stick, the brake clutch pedal assembly, the clutch cable, external clutch slave cylinder(if going hydrolic), clutch master cylinder, shorter front drive shaft, longer rear drive shaft, flywheel, pressure plate for core charge, shift lever, shift boot(s), steering column trim for a standard,etc, etc, etc.... write me for more info. I am doing a swap now.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Old 01-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

why? if he's worried about strength then the C6 is about as good as it gets. Monster trucks run 1500 HP into them so there is some way to build them STRONG, you just have to call up a racing shop and ask. I CAN understand him wanting more gears but he's gonna give ANY clutch he can find hell and he probably wont be too happy with that setup for long. The newer 6 speeds off the PowerStrokes are probably the way to go if they'll bolt up, and surely you can get big ol clutches for those monsters.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
Old 01-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Pooh-Bah

Muddy,

IF he is going to swap to a manual, the Mazda will not hold up to the power nor will it bolt up. The C-6 is a great auto, but he asked about a manual swap, so I told him what I knew. The ZF makes both a 5sp and the 6sp.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Old 01-02-2002, 04:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

slow down there buddy! my comment was pointed at dan, not you havack. My "he" referred to "my buddy", not dan ;-) get it? i was just wondering why this guy wants to go manual with so much damn power... your comment was right on.

am i making sense here?

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
Old 01-02-2002, 06:57 AM
Pooh-Bah

Muddy,
After I posted what I did, I realized what you were saying, but not in time to delete the post. Sorry for jumping you.

Havack!

Old 01-03-2002, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Havack,
You didn't mention which transmission you were swapping. Are you using the 6 speed or the 5 speed?
We found a T-18 4 speed bolted to a NP205 for very little money. I think we are going install that. The price is right and it looks like the ZF route will be pricey.

We are not sure what the T-18 is rated for.

Old 01-03-2002, 11:31 PM
Pooh-Bah

I am swaping in the M5OD-R2. Built by Mazda for Ford as a lite duty tranny. I am getting off lucky, the swap is costing me less than a grand. Going to the 5sp ZF would raise the stakes another $500. Look at my web site http://home.midsouth.rr.com for some tech data on the T-18 and the NP205. Just sign the guest book while you are there!

Havack!

Old 01-04-2002, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the t-18 is good but going to be a pain the t-19 is the same case but better internals you can get a 11" clutch and shim it and use a diesel master cylinder and slave cylinder combo and you wont even feel the clutch plus it is a pain to get an adaptor to fit zf-5 to a 205 and a 6 wont even fit that thing is a monster

86 250 ec lb 4x4 6.9 diesel t-19 w/ shimed clutch custom bumper by me 33" pro comp mudders and its even cherry bombed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement