302 to 351W swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2001, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 302 to 351W swap

I have a 89 Bronco, and I wanted to swap out the stock 302 for a 351W. Will the 351 bolt right up to my AOD trans? And will I be able to use the 5.0 intake on the 351? Also, will I need to have any wiring, or computer problems. Would I be better of swapping the 351 in or just building up the 302?

My girlfriend said the truck goes, or she goes. Sometimes I miss her.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2001, 11:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 302 to 351W swap

The blocks will definitely bolt up to the tranny, but you might need a different intake & plenum - the accessory brackets will almost certainly have to be changed. All the wiring, sensors, & actuators should work, but the 5.0L computer probably can't handle the extra .8L of displacement. New Ford EECs are $250 and NAPA remans are $180.

There's no replacement for displacement, but the 5.0L is a good engine.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Build it; Don't buy it...</font color=red>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-31-2001, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in the middle of my 377W swap into my 89 Bronco W/ AOD. What intake manifold are you planning to use? Because the 5.0 Upper and Lower EFI manifold won't work on the 351W. As for the computer i'm switching to a Pro-M and thats a whole different setup. I had to change the 5.0 fuel rails and the tube that connects the back of one head to the other because they were not wide enough. As for the accesories the passenger side bolts up and im using the Vortech bracket from my 5.0 and no problem there also. As for sensors the 5.0 has a knock sensor near the back of the intake manifold on the block. The 351 doesn't use that sensor so i dont know what im going to do with it. The block goes in and bolts on to the AOD with no problems using the 351 engine mounts. Im still in the process of rewiring the engine harness cause some of the sensors are moved around due to the GT-40 intake. The only problem i had so far was the stock y-pipe didn't clear the Canton Oil Pan and i had to cut it off. Been working on this project off and on for about 14 months and those are my little conversion problems so far. If i had to choose between a fresh 351W or a built 302 i would go 351 for reliability. You can always add nice bolt-ons later :-) or be crazy like me and do it all at once

Old 05-31-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What would I have to do if i decided to go with a carb?

My girlfriend said the truck goes, or she goes. Sometimes I miss her.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you care if it passes smog test? If not should be real easy as long as you can get the linkage to work.

Old 06-01-2001, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am starting this swap and here is what I know...You will need a 351w lower intake. The upper will work from a 302. You will need a 351w distributor. The alternator bracket will bolt to the head with no problems. The ac/power steering bracket will work also. If you look at that bracket it has 2 different holes, where it mounts to the front of the water pump. One hole for the 302, one for the 351w. The exhaust manifolds will work, but I strongly suggest a set of short tube headers. The 351w needs all of the breathing help that it can get. I was told that if you plan on staying with the speed density computer that you will need to get one from a 351 truck. If you have a mass-air computer, you can use it and not have to replace the computer. Mass air can handle and adjust for the bigger cubes. The oil pan will need to be changed.

The 351w is a much better enginge than the 302 for heavy duty applications. If you are building up a 351, something you might want to considered is a set of gt-40p heads. The flow much better than the stock E7 castings and have slightly smaller combustion chambers. They will bring a stock 351w compression ratio up to approx 9.4 to 1 versus the 8.8 to 1 with stock heads. These heads are generally good for about 20-30 horsepower and about the same in the torque deparment on a 302. On a windsor, they generally add about the same in horse but really help out in the low end where our heavy trucks need it. You can pick a brand new set up for around $450.

Rich

Old 06-01-2001, 07:13 AM
Old Hand

slickerthanyou is an unknown quantity at this point

I can tell you from my own experience to get a 351W that is from the same year or real close. I put one in my '90 bronco and the motor was from a '96 F350 I had to use different manifolds also had to buy new "y" pipe the angles where different. but you won't have to worry about that if you stay with the same year as your truck. You cannot use the intake from the 302 cause the 351 is taller deck and the runner holes are shaped different at least mine were. the 351 was oval and the 302 was kind of "Z" shaped. As stated before you will need a new distributor (different firing order), along with new computer for the 351. You can use your stock wiring harness but you will just leave the knock sensor unplugged. Everything else should work.

Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!
Old 06-01-2001, 08:01 AM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think you would need the new dist because of the size, lenth, or cam gear. The firing order doesn't matterto the dist. As a matter of fact the 302 cam will fit in the 351 and then the firing order will be the same.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Old 06-01-2001, 11:18 AM
Veteran

BRONCOMANIA is an unknown quantity at this point

Where can you get GT40 heads new for 450 a pair? I know someone who wants a pair but fordmotorsport lists them at over 300 each.Hell ,down here they get $650 for used ones with a plain valve job, pair that is.

Old 06-02-2001, 01:28 PM
Journeyman

DrunkenPharaoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Ford built a Cobra-R mustang a couple of years ago that used an SEFI 351W. This was limited to about 250 cars, but used all off-the-shelf Ford parts as far as the engine bay goes. You might look at getting some of the intake and injection parts or other stuff from SVO or used sources.

<font color=red>Pharaoh
Yah baby, That's right! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement