Why two shocks per wheel in the front? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2000, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Why two shocks per wheel in the front?

I was just wondering why my Bronco has two shocks per wheel in the front. It seems like one would be enough since I don't plan on doing any Baja racing. Can you remove a shock for a better ride? Which one?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2000, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Why two shocks per wheel in the front?

Let me guess, it is an 86 Bronco. I have the same thing. It is some kind of special suspenion system. No, I think it would be a BAD idea to remove one.....

headers on a 6 banger
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2000, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, it's a '96 Eddie Bauer with a 351 and stock suspension.

Old 12-07-2000, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 1996 Bronco XLT...I have 4 shocks up front too. It's pretty standard on the larger Broncos from sometime in the 80's 'til 96. I'm not certain, but I think they did it to help control the big beasts.

K-9
1996 Bronco XLT
4" Superlift & 2" body lift
35" General Grabber MT's on 15x10 Daytonas
Ex-Jeeper
Old 12-08-2000, 03:05 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>One thing we've found in mud is that older Broncos/F150's with single shocks per wheel (early Rangers also) have a lot of trouble with wheelhop when traction becomes an issue. Saw this real clearly on a buddy's TTB Ranger. Stock, the thing would wheel-hop all the time. He added a 6" lift with a little stiffer spring & shock & 31" radials & the problem went away. But, then he went to a solid 44 front & 35's (eventually 38's) on the same suspension & the problem returned 'cause of all the extra weight. I've seen the same problem on numerous (mostly older) coil-sprung Fords. In fact, I have one friend with F150 coils in his straight-axle S-15 experiencing problems with front suspension control with just one shock per wheel. The failure rate of frontends is much worse on 1/2 ton Fords than 3/4 ton Fords at our mud races despite the fact that BOTH use the same axle & the 3/4 tons are heavier in general.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Old 12-08-2000, 05:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Even my 78 solid axle fullsize had dual shocks up front. My 88 did also.

There's alot of weight up front, and it allows a softer shock to be used since there are two to do the work.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
Old 12-08-2000, 07:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The "quad-front shock" option was offered for improved handling. It was included in the Camper and Towing packages from about 1982-1996. The standard suspension only included the shocks behind the front springs. Deleting the forward shocks would allow the front wheels to bounce more, reducing the time they spend in contact with the road surface. It will also allow the truck to bounce and sway more. Before I added quad shocks to my truck and upgraded to 2" shocks, I rolled it, so I suggest keeping all four for safety and comfort.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS, 87 Ford 8.8ABS, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Old 12-08-2000, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They offered "quad shocks" in 79 too. my bronc has them and i think it is part of the HD towing package. not sure though.

<font color=blue> "Loofer" </font color=blue>
<font color=red>'88 Banshee</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default My 88 Eddie Bauer has 4 front shocks, but

my 91 has only 2... The 88 Rides & handles much more solidly. I can take an exit ramp in my 88 much faster than in my 91. also my 91 seems to bounce around a lot more over normal road bumps. I reallu like my 88's 4 shocks, and will probably add them to my 91

David,
88 Bronco with a Mustang heart FOR SALE!!!
91 SILVER ANNIVERSARY W/ 22,000 ORIGINAL MILES
Old 12-18-2000, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: My 88 Eddie Bauer has 4 front shocks, but

the quad shocls are part of the "handling package, which includes quad front shocks and front and rear sway bars. the single shock front comes with the hd front suspension( snowplow package, etc. the bronco rides and handles much better with the handling package, so id leave it on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement