EFI 5.0 Horsepower? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2000, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default EFI 5.0 Horsepower?

I recently cam across an '86 EFI 5.0 and want to swap it into my '80 Bronco (removing a tired 400). I would like about 260+ HP but am not sure if I can get it with this engine. Has anyone done this. I'm thinking of adding headers and dual exhaust as well as a hi-perf cam. Is that enough? Any tips would be appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2000, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: EFI 5.0 Horsepower?

I believe horsepower for that year was about 190 and torque was 285 ft-lb.

Do you plan on swapping the transmission? The bellhousing on the 351/400M is different from the 302/351W. You might be better off with a 460.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-12-2000, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am swapping the C6 transmission to fit the 302 bolt pattern. I want to use the 302 rather than the 400 or 460 for two reasons: I want to keep the truck as light as possible so that I can thunder through lots of mud without getting bogged down. Secondly, I already own the 5.0 which makes it much cheaper (thanks to the cheapness of C6's). Since I live in Canada, I like having a fuel injected motor because they start and run much better in cold conditions. Another plus with the EFI is the excellent throttle respose and indifference to steep inclines.

Old 10-16-2000, 11:48 AM
mcrackin

For heads I would recommend GT-40 heads. They deliver a good amount of HP. Redo your ignition with MSD that will get a good amount of gain there and do the CPU. Then headers and exhaust. This will deliver about 110 hp. Check you gear ratio. It goes up from there. Do you intake manifold. Either have it polished or replaced.

Old 10-16-2000, 02:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

EFI 302. You'll need to convert to Mass Air to allow a larger cam, so you don't mess up the EEC module . There are some cam manufacturers who advertise computer friendly grinds. Good for about 30 HP If they're friendly to computers, how much different than stock can they be? Heads will at best get you 25 HP, Intake, maybe another 20. By this time you've just sunk $2500 into your engine, but you won't get the horsepower increase, because you now need a better throttle body, and larger injectors to take advantage of the bolt-ons.There's another $400. Now you have to consider the reliability of your system, since it's probably a daily driver. Take it from me, if you like to continually tweak your engine for the varying weather conditions, do the mods. Or...save yourself alot of grief, and some cash. Supercharge. Get a 40% improvement in power, save the reliability hassles, and all the rebuild trouble on your engine.

Old 10-17-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys that's a big help. I have a good relationship with an excellent drive train shop, so instead of spending a fortune of GT-40 heads I'm just going to get them to 'tweek' my originals (for around $200 Canadian). I'm going to buy a compucam which will get me a few more HP. I like the MSD ignitions on carberated jobs, but how does it fit in with computer controls? Is there much to be gained there? If so I'll be getting that too. Dual exhaust and headers will be added, and the catylitic converter will be slam dunked into the garbage can were it belongs. Maybe you guys could tell me what a new computer card would do for me. I see the adds saying that an additional 30 HP will be realized from them, but I just don't see how. Untill I hear or see the proof, I think I would rather play with the sensor placement to 'fool' the computer somewhat. My fuel economy may suffer, but realistically, if I cared about that I would be driving a Samuri. I love the idea of a supercharger, but am not to that stage yet (expensive).

Old 10-17-2000, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cam. I stayed with my stock cam 90/302efi, but put crane roller rockers in instead. If you look at the stock lift and rocker ratio(1.5 < if my memory works > ), changing to the roller rockers 1.6 brings a stock cam up to the same lift as a compu cam. Plus you get the noise reduction. As for the MSD ignition ( next on my wish list ) the concept behind using it should work the same for efi or carb. MSD has a coil for tfi. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ds/index.shtml has a real Interesting article on heads, including their own ported heads. my 2 cents.

Old 10-20-2000, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The rollers sound like a good way to go! I think I will go with the roller rockers and the original cam if it is still in good shape. Why did you use the 1.6 rockers. Why not the 1.7? Is there some clearance issues with the truck engines? Now I can't wait to here it rumble and try it out on the road. Great website by the way.

Old 10-20-2000, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ref 1.6 or 1.7. Honestly i bought the only ones that i could get for the type of heads on my truck, and i didn't notice about the ratio difference until i started looking for what cam to get. Then i did the math and found the stock cam would work. Ref using old cam. The 302 in my truck was a rebuild, and when i put a micrometer on the lobes i found out it had the wrong cam in it.

ref valve clearance: check out http://fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/10/ptov/index.shtml
also the 400hp 302 article at http://fordmuscle.com/archives/ is great. I had a copy of it next to my manuel during the rebuild.
If your rebuilding yourself. my lessons learned. Make sure to put the heads on the correct side, the vents are plugged on the front and open in the back for a cross over emissions tube. i would not put the upper intake on until
the engine is in the truck. and like the 302 article says throw out the cork lower (front and back) intake manifold gaskets. i put the lower intake on and off 3-4 times before i threw them away. i ended up buying new fuel injectors anyway, and instead of putting them on and off a couple times, spend the extra $s and install them once. and if the fuel pump doesn't work change the fuel pump relay before you put a new fuel pump in. i would also change the fuel pressure regulator.
good luck

Old 10-20-2000, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1) Be careful about deleting the cat. I hear the smog nazis may make a return.
2) The performance chips will intercept the signal to the EEC and use their own set of calibration table values, which are generally only good at WOT, and don't make use of the economy, or emissions values.
3) How do you plan on fooling the EEC with sensor placement?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement