Exhaust leak from EGR tube - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2000, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Exhaust leak from EGR tube

I've got an '89 Bronco with a 302 V8. There is a crack in the tube that runs from the exhaust pipe to the EGR valve, causing an exhaust leak. The crack is rather small, and is located under the intake manifold, about 6 inches from the EGR itself. Is there anything I can do to plug the hole short of replacing the tube? I thought of JB Weld, but I think the temp would be too great (above 500F). Any other thoughts? Also, how difficult would it be to replace that tube if it came down to it? Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2000, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Exhaust leak from EGR tube

Try muffler bandage. It works great on mufflers. It also handled the heat of a cat. when I used it to secure the heat shield back on. The pipe is a relative pain in the ass to replace, since the threads like to fuse together. You may be able to do a simple flared fitting if the need arises.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2000, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would try the muffler stuff to try and fix it if it is really just a small crack. Put a worm clamp at the top and bottom of the crack to try and keep it from cracking further and use some of the paste/goo that is used for repairing holes in mufflers. That will hold it for a while.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
Old 07-17-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll Give that a try. I did some further inspection and found that the tube only runs from the EGR to the lower intake, right between the two valve covers, not to the exhaust pipe. Is this the tube you were talking about being a pain to replace? Would this one be easier? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2000, 08:44 AM
Journeyman

broncoloco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey WardenJ: Don't bother with the JB Weld! I tried using it to patch a crack in my Jeep's Exhaust Manifold: it didn't last 5 minutes before the high temperatures caused the JB to just fall right off and burn! I've removed that EGR Tube on my 88 Bronco: it's not that difficult. Just unbolt the EGR Valve from the intake and pull the valve and tube assembly up and out of the exhaust. I would recommend removing it and then trying that "Muffler Bandage" Stuff or, maybe you could get it welded-up. Good luck.

A Fool and his Truck are soon stuck...
Old 07-19-2000, 09:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem on my 90 302 AOD except I replaced mine and it was a pain . I had to remove my upper intake frome the lower intake to get the other end of the tube. And the bad part was is that you can only get it though the dealer and ran me $65.00 unless you can find a good one in a junk yard. Goood luck1

Old 07-21-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem on my 87, and I also just removed it and welded up the hole. I didnt really know what I was doing at the time so my question is: Is there anything wrong with what I did? I didn't need that pipe right? I sure hope not.
Thanks for your time,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement