Burning smell from front hubs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Brooks101

Default Burning smell from front hubs

Guys, my Bronco is giving me grief again. It's a 1980 with a 351M, 3-speed auto, manual hubs.

Tonite, just for the heck of it, I locked the front hubs on my drive home, just a few blocks from my house. The roads are covered in snow and I could feel the front wheels turning.

When I got home, maybe 3 or 4 blocks max, I could smell something, almost a burning smell, coming from the front of the truck. It didn't smell like antifreeze or oil.

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the front hubs. I don't drive this truck much at all during the summer but for the past few weeks its become my daily driver - and I haven't engaged the 4wd in a long time, though I understand you should.

Anyone have any guesses. This truck is getting really expensive and another major repair I cannot afford.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!

Brad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

GTRider245 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Burning smell from front hubs

Check the grease inside the hubs. If it aint been checked in a wgile it may be time to check it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 AM
kemicalburns

the bearings may need repacked as well. also check diff fluid
Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it only happened with the hubs locked, then it has to be the spindle bearings. They're the only OTHER thing that spins in the hub area. It's not a "major" repair because they're cheap & you can do them yourself with a little effort. Click my sig & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. The hardest part will be getting the old races out of the spindles. I usually break the outer lip out, dump out the needles, & then use a tiny flathead screwdriver to buckle the race inward so it falls out. Putting the new on back in is much easier.

It's 3423 in the bottom center of this diagram.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Stranger

5.8L_Greek is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar smell years ago on my '89 when the fuse (plastic guts) blew on my RF hub. It was under a good load and looked like it had been on fire when I removed it.
Try jacking up the front and spinning the wheels by hand. This is a quick check to see if the hubs are staying stuck or if the needles are rusted to the axle.
Use grease in your bearings and oil on your hubs. In the winter they can get very stiff or stay engaged when you release them.
Steve '83 has alerted TTB owners to something most don't even know exists and something that never gets serviced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement