Ford f-150 vs Ram 1500 (99/02) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ford f-150 vs Ram 1500 (99/02)

Can somone please give me one reason why i should pay more for a f-150 with a wimpier engine than buy a ram?? I am feeling more like a traitor everytime i go look at trucks I am at the point where i can't decide.. I know all my ford friends will disown me but the price,power,looks are so tempting on the ram.... The only downfalls i can find on a ram are the gas mileage 12/17 vs 15/17 (i drive mostly highway anyway) and the fact that the new auto's are junk but i've heard about the same on fords newer auto's so your screwed just as bad eaither way probably on that one.. I need input on this. The wicked tourque and sweet exaust note of a 360 magnum really just craps all over a 5.4 triton, and the 3/5000$ price diffrence (dodge cheaper). After i pay my new truck off i want to invest in a small lift bigger tires etc. And i want somthing that is going to last 200k+ miles. I can see an advantage to the fact that dodge is straight axle instead of ifs. I dunno... Just seems that the newer rams are alot closer related to the 70's fords than this new-fangled crap fords came out with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Ford f-150 vs Ram 1500 (99/02)

If you want something that will last 200,000 miles, stay away from Dodge. The truck will fall apart out from under you way before that milage. Stick with Ford, the choice will be a wise one. Although the Dodge has the Dana 44, the Ford is still a solid truck. Also, if the time comes, you will get a higher resale value out of the Ford.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Journeyman

Someone with far greater technical knowledge than me, perhaps Havack, might tell you otherwise, but I just don't see new trucks, and cars for that matter, as investments worth holding on to for 200,000+ miles. They are all computer controlled, are set up to last 100,000 miles and then everything on them needs replacing. I have my bronco to tinker with and as for my wife's Tahoe, we just trade it in every two years for a new one. My brother just got a steal on a left over '04 F-150 and yeah, it ain't the most powerful truck, but it's strength is the nice interior and ride. The bed being so darn deep is the only real "manly" selling point. But little bro thinks it's cool. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My father on the other hand broke tradition and bought a '03 Ram quadcab with the hemi and yes, I believe it could smoke my brother's truck. In the end it's obviously totally up to you. But if the price is right and you might tow something then go for it.

-Scott

Just saw GT's response. Ditto the resale thing. In '94 the Ram's were gold, but now the "new" F-150 enjoys that status.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'd almost have to disagree on the comment of the computer controled fuel injected engines not lasting as long. I've seen many EFI v8's chevy,ford,dodge outlast miles wise there carberated counterparts. I think it has alot to do with the fact that the timming is always going to be right and the air/fuel ratio is always right, Granted you don't have a bad sensor or somthing of the sort but you usualy get fair warning by eaither the check engine light or the gas mileage or it just running like crap. I have 256k miles on my efi 300 and it still runs like new and doesen't use any oil. I've yet to see a carb'd 300 in the same condition. Its never been overhauled, and the only thing electronic to ever crap out was the egr valve selonoid and the ignition module.. Where i work we have 3 early 90's chevy 1/2 tons that have been abused and reemed by everyone that drives them. all with a tbi 350 and all have 270k+ and one is over 300k and suprisingly they all run good and still have descent power and have not ever been overhauled just well maintained. Been through a few trannys though... Thats saying a lot for a chevy of all things. Most high mile efi 302's ive seen are holding up alot better than high mile carb'd 302's. Can't really same the same on windsors i've seen alot of EFI windsors crap out around 170k. I guess if you had the time/knowledge to tune and keep tuned your carb'd motor very regularly you might get the same results. In my opinion EFI kicks a carb in the as* for a daily driver. Now if you want a dragster the carb is the way to go. But for reliability, economy and just not having to mess with it EFI wins hands down. I've had my truck for 5 years and it had around 130k when i bought it. It still had the original plugs, wires cap and rotor which i replaced then. I just recently put a new cap and rotor on because it had a small crack in the cap and went ahead and changed out the 100k+ plugs (which still looked descent) Bosh platnums. Seems like on all my carb'd trucks this is somthing i had to do every 10/20k. I change my air filter about every 20k and change my oil every 5k and besides brakes and tires and other stuff that just wears out (u joints, tie rod ends, ball joints,wheel bearings, clutch etc) I've never really had to that much. Now i imagine if i keep driving it everyday till i get up over 300k that it will start needing alot of stuff like a new tranny, new rear-end(getting alot of slack) and get to the point where its not worth dumping money in. Plus the fact that it is 2wd and a regular cab. I probably won't keep a new truck as a daily driver till it gets to this point but after it really starts getting up there in the miles retire it for a winter/trail truck, get a lift, bigger tires etc..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Journeyman

Sorry, Jacob....I need to clarify myself. For reliablity, yes, EFI is wonderful, just turn the key and you're off. What I meant was that brand-new vehicles '04, '05 scare me, personally, because I lack the technical skill of others here. I don't own $10,000 handheld programmers to hook in under the dash and tell me everything that's wrong with my vehicle. The brand new vehicles coming out now are beyond my ability to work on other than replacing fluids. That's why I made the statement that I'll just keep trading my wife's in for a new one before she wears one out. It's just obvious to me that the automakers do not intend for the average American motorist to work on his/her own vehicle anymore. I guess I'm toting around alot of bad feelings towards computer controlled motors because of the $2200 lesson I learned the hard way when I built up a 302 past its speed density EFI's ability to keep up with. But now I have a carbed 460 and I'm happy. I apologize if I struck a nerve. Perhaps you guys can continue to educate me and I'll get past my silly complex. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Scott
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

Without a doubt, in almost any circumstance, EFI kicks carburator right in the butt. As far as being easy to work on, Carb deff. wins that battle. Alot less electrical compnenets and computer crap to deal with.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Old Hand

Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut Territory, Arctic, Canada, now Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Jacob

It's your money. If the Ram seems more closely related to the 70s, it is ! The 5.9 is the 360, which hasn't really changed much on the shortblock since it started (patterned off the 340) in 71'.

Yes the heads, intake and injection all got ungraded in 92, but most internal parts, below the headgaskets will bolt in from 71 right up until last year.

The Dodge is more thirsty and I'd bet a whole lot heavier than a 97-2003 F-150. The new F-150 was built to one-up the RAm in size and I think Ford took it a bit too big IMO.

You're right about the Dodge having it's day in 94 I vividly remember neighbours and dyed in the wool GM buddies trading in their GM trucks en-masse to get into a new Ram.

That year or 96 (one of those years) we got the sales brochures out and I spoon fed crow pie to my GM buddy as he admitted the Dodge had the GM beat for power AND torque in every engine class.

Man I rubbed that in for years !

Why aren't you considering a 96 full load Bronco ?

Sixlitre
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:55 PM
curtcon

See for me the earlier fuel injection makes alot more sens than the carb itself. But thats just because I have never had a truck with a carb. But this new fuel injection is just insane. I mean how many sensors can you fit under a hood some new cars you can't even change the battery without f-ing up the computer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

"Why aren't you considering a 96 full load Bronco ? "

I'd love a bronco but... I really need a truck. Also i really need somthing 2000 or newer to get financing plus i need somthing with low miles so i can get alot of use out of it. This will be a daily driver so I am getting a little scared of the ram because gas is back up to $1.95 again and all i here is dodge has more power but sucks way to much gas.. As i said i am not super crazy at all about fords triton engines at all. A TBI 350 chevy will run circles around them and thats pretty sad. But I do have to say ford has really not ever let me down I have got my money's worth out of my truck many times over, and have always had good luck with ford products.. Its just so tempting when you drive a ram and it costs less and kicks the f150 right in the as* on power.. Maybe its worth a few thousand $ more for a f-150. I dunno.. A guy i work with just got rid of his ram and bitches about it all the time but he had a v-10 so that was probably 50% of his problems. But i recall him having alot of electric problems ie: power windows, mirrors seat etc kept messing up.. you deffinately get more quality as far as the truck it self is concerned with the f-150. I am beginning to think that a ram would be great for somthing to lift and go 4-wheeling with all the time but not so great for a daily driver on a long commute.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

You know maybe a set of headers, ditching the cats 3" duals an H pipe K&N Fipk would make the 5.4 a little more desireable.. Perhaps forking out the big bucks for a vortech supercharger or sourcing the junk yard for lightning parts and one could still get mileage and more Ummph.. The 97/current forrum we have for fords is pretty dead. Just alot about what size tires can i run crap. Not much of anything about performance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode