EFI 460's Are They Any Good?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2004, 04:43 AM
Enthusiast

Jacob_Royer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EFI 460\'s Are They Any Good??

I'm looking at a 90 f-250 4x4 Extended cab with a 460 and automatic with 110,000 miles on it for $5900. Body is pretty much spotless same with interior. My question is has anybody on here had a EFI 460 are they any good? How do they stack up to the old carb'd motors? I had a 78 f-250 with 36" swampers 4.10 gears and 460 and I averaged 14mpg which i thought was great. I think I got good mileage because it had so much power you didn't ever have to stand on it. I know it got better mileage than my 351w 2wd i had at the time. Anyway any idea what kind of MPG I could expect out of the EFI 460? Any idea how many miles you can get out of one? I put about 450 miles a week on my current truck so longevity is important here. Also does anyone have any performance specs on that engine or any input on if the drivetrain for that year is worth a crap or not? I woudn't be doing any hard-core stuff with it, but I want somthing that would last. Also is the price descent or not? Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EFI 460\'s Are They Any Good??

Tranny wise you are looking at another 70k miles on average. The engine you might be looking at 50k miles on average. If you put it into stop and go city traffic it will be less. Tow a load it will be less. Highway commute no load might be more.

Go to www.edmunds.com to check prices for your area.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

That doesen't sound very promising. I have well over 200k on my 78 460 truck before it had to be rebuilt so I figured they where all good but sounds like they aren't to hot on durability compared to the old 460's
Old 07-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't take me for gosple...that is just what I would expect. you could get 300k miles out of it or 1 mile....
Old 07-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Shilo

Basically don't expect anywhere near the performance you're used to from the older carbed 460's. Ford did a decent job of botching the EFI 460, namely the heads and intake are quite restrictive. Depending upon who you talk to, factory specs are 240hp and 390 ft lbs. Pretty sad for a big block in all reality.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Enthusiast

That stinks! Chevy 350's would proabably be smoking you. Thats not a whole lot more power than a stock 5.0 mustang. a bit more tourque but still compared to the old school engine. my 78 f-250 had a 460 out of a 71 lincoln with bored .40 over kieth black flat tops, dove-2 heads ported and polished edelbrock performer cam/intake and 750 edelbrock carb with hooker headers and 3" duals. with a c6 4.11 gears and 35" swampers I could punch it at anything below 25 mph and get sideways. I loved it i got an average of 14mpg (when i kept my foot out of it) So I was thinking hmmm efi 460 should be better on gas! but that wimpy probably not.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
HokieWheeler

I've got a 97 efi 460, but mine's a 5 speed manual. In town, I get about 10mpg and on the interstate, I get 15. It needs new plugs and wires, and that should help in the mpg department. One thing i'm not so happy with tho, is I have to run 89 in it, or it does about the same as my 78 with a 351....about 11 highway, 8 city. But overall, you're prolly looking at about the same as your old one...with less fun factor.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. After test driving it I decieded to pass it up. I was not at all impressed with the power. After getting out of my 300 powered 2wd. It didn't seem any quicker. I think the gearing was crappy on it.. I've test drove a few 302 and 351 powered trucks 90/96 and they felt alot stronger.. It definately wasn't anything like the carb'd 460.. I guess if I go with a truck that big maybe I need to consider a powerstroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.