ignition coil arcing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 08:28 PM
racemedic

ignition coil arcing

The other night I was looking under the hood with the engine running and I noticed that there was arcing around the coil. I have a MSD 6A with the TFI coil and plug wires. I didn't see any arcing from the wires just the coil. Any ideas on how to fix this or is this an indication that the coil is going bad on me.

Thanks
-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: ignition coil arcing

Where is it arcing from on the coil? Is the coil wire ok? I've never heard of arcing from the coil itself. Is it arcing from the terminal???
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 08:19 AM
racemedic

It's arcing from around the sides. If you are looking down at it from the front you can see arcing on both sides from the coil itself to the bracket that holds it in place. I have never seen this before either. I guess I should have given this info before, '93 Bronco with a 5.8 and E4OD.

Thanks
-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've never heard of that either but I'm thinking Bad Coil! Bad! It sounds as if this can turn into a personal electrifying experience if you are not carefull. Call the company and ask them why it may be doing this. Tell them you are a member of a highly prestigious offroading community [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and that you will let everyone know what a great company they are if you can exchange it for a new one. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Take Care. NORM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Old Hand

Too much resistance in the wires or a gap thats too big will blow thru the side of a coil. If a coil can't spark it will build voltage untill it can and if it has to blow thru the side of a itself to release the energy it will. Go over the whole ignition system before replacing the coil to make sure you don't ruin another one. Good luck
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Too much resistance in the wires or a gap thats too big will blow thru the side of a coil.

[/ QUOTE ] Good to know. This is why I log in here daily. I learn something new all the time. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Banned

Change your spark plugs, your wires, cap distributor and rotor. I'm pretty sure your problem is there.This just happened to me. Before you change your plugs, wires, and cap, try this first. Pull the cowling engine cover off, locate the ignition coil and try to start the engine. Look at the coil and check for arcing. Race the engine a little to see an arc. I replaced the coil, and the problem was solved.

__________________________________________________ _________________
MR GASKET IGNITION COIL COVER, CHROME, UNIVERSAL -- Made from steel; Will fit most horizontal mount ignition coils; Includes chrome plated mounting bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode