1986 Bronco Column / Ignition key cylinder replace - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 08:50 AM
adam7985

Default 1986 Bronco Column / Ignition key cylinder replace

Hey All,
Tried search but didn't come up with a lot. My '86 Bronco has a tilt column that is flopping up and down. Guess whatever latches inside there is broken. I have another tilt column to put it but it came without a key. Anyone know how to switch the lock cylinders? I have the key to the column that I need to take out but would like to put that in the replacement one. The manual that I have goes into zero detail on this one and I figured I'd better ask for advice before I dig in and mess it up! I'm assuming that switching the whole column is probably easier than trying to fix the tilt latch whatever-it-is inside there? (Can't seem to find an exploded view of a column anywhere). Thanks in advance for any help.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Pooh-Bah

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1986 Bronco Column / Ignition key cylinder replace

Give this link a quick click. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Or, Main Page-Chilton Auto Library
And, here's an exploded view of the tilt column from that site.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Old Hand

Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut Territory, Arctic, Canada, now Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Sixlitre is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam

a couple of other options fer ya. I was lucky enough to score an 86 column right out of a yard, with the keys, last year for $70.00 Canadian ! if you know the serial number of the donor truck, a Ford dealer can cut you a key for the column, for next to nothing.

Years ago I had a British column and took it to a run of the mill locksmith and he cut me keys without even opening the column, didn't cost much either.

The dealer route sounds a lot easier

Sixlitre
Old 09-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Journeyman

93bronco is an unknown quantity at this point

i also did what sixlitre did. paid no more then 20 us dollars.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The dealer route sounds a lot easier

[/ QUOTE ]
thats if your 100% sure the steering column or ignition is the original and hasn't been replaced.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:01 PM
froggy

Well if its flopping up and down then it would be easier to replace it. Although its no too difficult to pull it apart and replace the broken pice. If I remember right all you gotta do to replace the ignition cylinder is put the key in the ignition and rotate it forward to the accessaries. Then underneath the cylinder in the column itself is a hole, take a small allen key or punch. Or whatever you can fit up there and push that pin up. Itll push into the key cylinder and then the cylinder itself will slide out with a little pull on it. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:45 AM
adam7985

Thanks guys for all the help and input! That Chilton site is COOL! Wish I had an exploded view of a tilt column though just to see what the tilt / latch looks like inside there. I can get the VIN easy enough for the junkyard column so I could get a key for that one (thanks again by the way- I didn't even know that was an option). But now I'm wondering if I should just leave my original column in and try to fix the latch? I took my steering wheel off... it's a bit intimidating looking inside there. Anyone else ever fix one of these latches before? I'm hoping to fix this problem this weekend.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:23 PM
froggy

Yeah I had to pull one apart to replace the acuator in there. It was on a 89 though. Its not hard though. Best way around it is to jump in it. Just dont lose any pieces, there are some small parts. It should say right in a haynes manual how to pull it apart.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:33 AM
adam7985

WOO-HOO! Problem solved! Got a good look at a tilt column on an '85 Crown Vic at the yard yesterday with the shrouding removed. Different design / same concept / got a good look at the latch concept inside there. Came home and cut out what I'll refer to as an "access port". (That's the nice way of saying I butchered a hole in my column). Found out the pin was broken. Drove what was left of the pin out and custom made a nail to go through there. I now have a much-safer-to-drive Bronco! (Sorry... had to tell someone)!

Ya' know... and some people don't get what I like about driving a beater! NO WAY would the average guy have done that with a $5K truck... hacking into the column. But it works now and it was a whole lot easier than replacing the whole column or digging my way down to the problem. Yep- I'll stick to my beaters! At least until I win the lotto or get that $50K / year dream job......
Old 09-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

BurnedBronco is an unknown quantity at this point

so where in N.E. IL are you? im in the homewood/flossmore area.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:31 AM
adam7985

I'm in Winthrop Harbor, a little dot in the very corner of the map. Just north of the Waukegan / Zion area.

Just picked up this '86 Bronco... usually I prefer '78/'79 Broncos- my fav's. This is my first ever '80s Bronco. Aside from the rust it needs a lot of maintenence catching-up. Front axleshaft u-joints are the next big project. That's always fun...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.