351M cam & heads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2003, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 351M cam & heads

1. I have a 78 F-150 w/351M, I found out FoMoCo retarded the cam on these motors four degrees, can I take this retardation out by replacing the timing set with an aftermarket set (double roller, gear, ect.) or do I have to change out the cam and timing set?
2. what's the difference between "open & closed combustion chambers" in cylinder heads? Any info helpfull.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2003, 03:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 351M cam & heads

i have a 79 with a 351m and from what i understand
some aftermarket timing sets for the 400, 351m and the 351c
fix this... now it depends on what year the set is for.. i found that everyone that fixes "factory Retarding" says *Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles. i priced an edelbrock true rolling timing set (part no. 7821) to fix that problem at 94.00$ canadian, and yes it can be used with the stock cams. if your motors in good shape i hear its a good way to wake that m up, also you should think about a 4bbl intake manifold to put on there... from what i hear you'd get more power and better gas mileage. i have a performer 400 to bolt onto mine, just havent gotten around to it.. ill let u know how it works when i do put it on.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Pooh-Bah

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Looks like <font color="blue">79f1504by4</font color> took care of that.
And, yes, the 4 change (advance) in cam timing will make a good bit of difference. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

2) Open and Closed chambers refers to the design/shape of the combustion chambers.
Open are more of an O shape, while closed are more D shaped.
I don't recall the difference in CC's of each, but the open are considerably larger,
hence lower compression with every else on the engine staying the same.

Here's a shot of what a "closed" chamber would look like, albeit, my 351W, not 351M.
Note the "D" shape.

Ah ha! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Here's some good reading for you.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks 79f150, I was not sure if the cam had anything to do with it or if I could just do the chain &amp; gears for now. It does have a Edelbrok intake, 4bbl carb, &amp; headers.But as far as I know that's the only mods done to the engine, I bought it a couple years ago from the second owner (he had almost 13 yrs), he only used it for work &amp; to haul fire wood.
I found timing sets at Summit that are adjustable from $50-$130 + S&amp;H.
Thanks WD40, when you explained it I knew what you ment just never knew there was different names for combusttion chambers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.