Stroked 351 W or 460 BIG Block??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Journeyman

DVLDOG458 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stroked 351 W or 460 BIG Block???

Hey guys,
I was doing some thinking this weekend, and eventually I will need a new engine.
I'm gonna go up alittle higher and put 44" boggers on her.
So, I'm not sure how much MORE my 302 can take. I was thinking either a professionally (carb) built 351 W stroked or a 460.
I'm thinking maybe the 351 would be cheaper and easier....i could use my Edelbrock heads, same motor mounts, and same trans.
What would be a good stroker size for a 351W? I see all different sizes 392,392,408,418, and 420.
Or do you think I should go with the 460 for reliability issues?

Let me know what you think guys.

Thanks,
Jerry D.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

broncobilly69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stroked 351 W or 460 BIG Block???

You can build a pretty stout 351 http://www.fordcobraengines.com/351w_400LBS.htm
The 396 stroker is a good torque engine.It's also not that radical of a stroker,rod ratios etc are still good.Just make sure you set it up for low rpm grunt.You don't want a high rpm screamer in a heavy truck.

Bill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:38 PM
BoulderBronco7

I am no expert on engine building but I know that there are a ton of aftermarket parts for the 351 and I am sure you could build a sweet one. However if it were me I would opt for the 460. Cubic inches are everything. I bet you could spend less on the swap than on a 351 bored and tweaked the way you want it. I also think the swap is fairly straight forward. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used the same E4OD tranny so it should be a direct bolt in. Maybe a new bellhousing. I don't really know though. Someone should be around shortly to help you out and correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Addict

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are power happy why not beef up the 302? Stroke it to a 347 and blow it? 500 horses and 500 ft.lbs. of torque. Save gas unless you think it's' gettin cheaper, save weight, and have more power than a 460.
Gearing is the best deal. I've seen little Zuk's with 64 horses, 33's, lincoln lockers, and gearing do some extreme schtuff. A 302 in a bronc with the proper gearing and suspension would be fine. This said, I got 400 horses, a blower on my 302. I did this because I tow about a 4,000 pound boat and like the punch when I'm playing around. It has not helped my wheeling as much as gearing and lockers. You got the axels to handle 44's? Breakage is a bi&5$!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Journeyman

I'm running a C-6 trans and front and rear 60's w/ 5.13 gears w/ Power-lock L/S.

Man, decisions decisions..............
Old 05-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Old Hand

MY2ND78 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go 460, you'll need another C6 cuz the bellhousing bolt pattern is different.
As much as I like 460's, it'll be easier to do the stroker. No exhaust mods and the rest of the drivetrain stays the same.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Addict

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point

Stroke the 302 and you can use everything you are currently using. Add a Powerdyne blower and you can get 500 horses and 500 ft.lbs of torque and still maintain some semblance of mileage. I've been getting 12mpg on the road and 10 forking around town and in the dirt. My investment in Desktop Dyno helped me with the decision you are facing. I did not stroke my 302, wish I had. I like it but am greedy for more. I would probably just break, you could put it to the ground without breaking. Would be lighter than a 460 too! With the blower I did invest in bigger injectors and converted to mass air then added a 70mm mas housing. Oh ya horse and torque figures above include windsor junior heads. I should have gone with GT40's.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Juggernaut87

what about one of those new peppy Ford LIGHTNING engines... that would be somthing to brag about at shows
Old 05-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Journeyman

Well, guys, I'm thinking a 408 stroker will do.
I would love to get the BIG block but the budget is the problem. The bigger the $$$ longer I have to wait to build it.
And I was thinking I don't want to loose my A/C either.
I just had that custom C-6 built,Edelbrock performer heads, new motor mounts, and new radiator.
I'll just build it so when I get bored with power, I'll just slap a roots type blower on it.
Will all my 302 brackets for accesories fit on a 351w? Or should I start looking for those now?

Thanks,
J.D.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

BigNorm is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the motor mounts will work. You may have to get new bracketry for some of the accesories but that shouldn't be too hard to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.