Easiest way to restore Aluminum rims? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Veteran

BRONCOMANIA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easiest way to restore Aluminum rims?

Man, i just washed my MTclassic rims for the first time in two months [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], cant believe the mess those overheating calipers did to them [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], anyhow i tried mothers aluminum mag polish on a buffing wheel in a cordless drill but all it does is fling compound everywhere. Is there a better way to do this, like felt bobs in a diegrinder???

Muddy, i remember you bringing up a question about cleaning your wheels, any success?

Craig
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Easiest way to restore Aluminum rims?

I've always used Mother's.
Great stuff, but, I've always got better results rubbing by hand, instead of using the power buffer.
Keep rubbing till you don't get any more black residue on your rag.
I've worn my hands out a few times over, but it's worth it. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
After I got them cleaned/shiny, I used a good paste wax to protect them.

However.....Are your wheels "clear-coated"?
Mother's won't work very well if that's the case.
It's meant to be used on "raw" aluminum.
You'll need to find a different polish if they are clear-coated. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2002, 01:32 PM
Veteran

No there not, someone suggested i should of coated them when i first took em out of the box, but all i kept thinking of was peeling paint [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], so Now im gonna pay for it with elbow grease [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, I never did anything about it. My little bro said his friend used something on his deep dish aluminum wheels and the difference was amazing, but I never found out exactly what the stuff was. However, I got into it with a rock somewhere in Hot Springs and it chipped my lockout dial and pitted my wheels in 5 or 6 spots, which are now all shiny! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] So now I'm thinking about going at them with a wire brush or something, but mine arent finished at all and have no luster any more, so if yours do then I wouldnt risk it. I'm going to see if that other stuff works first though.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 AM
Old Hand

80BRONCO is an unknown quantity at this point

Mothers or never dull works real well if they arent clear coated if you are using a buffing wheel and mothers and they arent coming clean I would guess they have some kind of coating on them. If you are sure though go to walmart and get wire wheel cleaner. just the stuff for wire wheels It should say "do not use on clear coated rims"It is much stronger and has some kind of acid in it it should clean off the brale dust that has gotten down into the pores of the metal and then try polising
Old 12-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Veteran

I was told by someone that they were`nt coated (a paint & body person i had worked with), but im starting to think maybe they are cause when i buff it, i only get a cleanliness that sort of resembles anodized(silver)aluminum if you know what i mean, but when i hit my superwinch hubs (which are aluminum)with the same thing they shine like chrome...

The big black globs from the pads are coming off, but the rims still dont have a luster and some clear stains are remaining, how can i tell for sure if its coated?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Old Hand

Shovel is an unknown quantity at this point

So would steel wool work for clear coated rims? When I was sold my rims, Les Schwab said I should just use some steel wool on anything that didn't come off by hand.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Old Hand

80BRONCO is an unknown quantity at this point

No steel wool wont work It will take that clear coat off partially and dull the he!! out of it and yes it does sound like the rims you have are clear coated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement