Broken Ignition Actuator Rod Part - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Broken Ignition Actuator Rod Part

Hello Everyone,
I really need your help. Inside the steering column, at the top of the actuator rod, there is a part that pushes and pulls the actuator rod. This piece is quarter-arc shaped, rides in a guide on the right side of the steering column, and some sort of guide on the top of the column. I say "sort of" because this second assumed guide is missing. There is a broken-off stub that comes through a plate in the steering column, but the rest of it is missing.

What I need to know is what is the part called and how do you get the old one out and install the new one? My Haynes manual is no help. It talks about the lock cylinder and the ignition switch, but nothing in between. Any pictures or shop-manual diagrams would be a lot of help.

Thanks,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:50 PM
froggy

Re: Broken Ignition Actuator Rod Part

Its the acuator. They break all the time. Go to any ford dealership and go to the parts desk and tell them thats what you need. They will most likely know right off what you need. If serves me right I paid a little over 10 dollars for a new one. Im assuming you got tilt wheel since you need this part. Anyways pulling apart the cloumn is easy enough to do. Your gonna need a little screw to pull out the retaining nuts on the sides. Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The second guide is broken off in the steering column. If you look into the hole that it matches up to you'll see the piece that was formerly attached to the "stub". I had to use small drill bit on a drill to drill into the broken piece and then pull it out. Just drill into it enough that the bit gets stuck in the metal. It's just pot metal so it's pretty soft.

You probably want to buy the upper and lower actuator rod assembly. No sense to replace one without the other 'cuz you don't want to do it again. Once you see the upper assembly you'll know exactly what was broken off.

Be careful taking the tilt assembly apart, you don't want that spring embedded in your forehead. The real PITA for me was getting that dang spring recompressed to put it back in....but you'll see [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 01:02 PM
froggy

I agree there eddy , its kind of an art lol.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, the kind of art that makes you want to get your rifle and start taking people out from the top of a tower [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JK.

I guess the whole process of replacement (including figuring out how it works) took me about 4 hours. Stupid spring.

-Eddy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:31 PM
froggy

LOL well i just removed my coulmn and it took me 15 to 20 mins hehe.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I had no idea how it worked when I started taking it apart. Taking the steering column and the tilt mechanism apart was a breeze but then I prolly spent two hours trying to fish that broken piece out with a little screwdriver - didn't work. That's when I thought of the drill. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Then probably hour and a half to get that damn spring back in there right. Stupid spring.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:28 PM
froggy

hehe yeah , all I had to do was tip mine over and give it a couple taps and it fell out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fast Eddy and Froggy,

I'm having trouble getting everything apart to get to the stub. I can grab the stub with pliers, but it won't come out. I took of the smaller spring on the underside. The tilt assembly seems to be next but I cannot figure out how to get it apart. Could you give me some tips? Also if it is easier to remove the column, please tell me how that is done. My Haynes manual sucks.

Thanks,

Don
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:29 PM
froggy

yeah on the sides is 2 silver looking things they are threaded. Get a screw that will thread in and grab a claw hammer and yank em out , then your column will fall apart so be careful. Then you shouldnt have much of a problem. If possible remove it , its alot easier to work on and doesnt take long at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode